EV owners asked to

The wife and I laughed our heads off when our CA. politicians came out with not charging EV cars during the peak period due to causing brown outs in large metro areas.
Peak hours are 4-9 P.M. when people get home from work and go to bed at the end of peak hours. As if that will work is a fart in the wind. Typical CA. putting the cart before the horse.
RELH

The fact that so many believe that this is a fix…. Gives me little hope that we are actually an intelligent species…..

Then again, I just watched the world go through CVD and I remember when people believed Building 7 fell from some fires in the building.

People gonna believe, what they want to believe, even if their own eyes tell them differently.

The good news is gas is under $4 with Biden in office. EV's have a place, and I have owned a Tesla and a leaf. Electric grid has issues and as more people go EV, the cost of electricity will go up. I hope as a nation we embrace more hydro and nuclear power. Natural gas is just as limited as oil.

In my back yard our Harbor Commission is all in on offshore windmills. It sounds really simple but when you watch this you realize what a massive undertaking it is. If you have the time and the patience this is very eye opening, and even entertaining.

Simple fix.

IMG_0699.jpeg

Add a gas generator in the back

Is the off shore thing in Humboldt a local power source or they putting in a bunch of them to move the lower elsewhere?

Those things require constant grease and oil changes funny enough. I repaired the fiber glass blades, of which fiberglass never breaks down. Gotta burn it or send it to space….

Last summer PG&E requested customers to turn off all "unnecessary" electricity between 4pm and 9pm during a big heat wave. They promised a reduction in our monthly bill at a future date. We have a smart meter so they can monitor your usage. It wasn't an option to get a smart meter, they just came one day and put it in.

We did it for a few days because we're retired and wanted to cooperate. And who doesn't want their bill knocked down?

It took several months but when we got our "reward" it amounted to just under $6. And they spent another $6 sending our reward notice in the mail. We felt so proud and patriotic.

With solar panels, Powerwalls and EV vehicles, one can run the AC as much as they like and skip the gas station as well. Eliminating both electrical and fuels bills pays for the system within the decade--even without rate inflation. Meanwhile, one avoids blackouts during bad weather and is guaranteed energy in the event of fire. Access to energy need not be a problem for most homeowners.

The ocean is pretty deep off the coast of northern CA. For our wind farm they will need 2,800 miles of mooring lines. Nobody is making them nor are there any plans to make them. China will build more coal power plants and step up.

With solar panels, Powerwalls and EV vehicles, one can run the AC as much as they like and skip the gas station as well. Eliminating both electrical and fuels bills pays for the system within the decade--even without rate inflation. Meanwhile, one avoids blackouts during bad weather and is guaranteed energy in the event of fire. Access to energy need not be a problem for most homeowners.
Solar companies are now cutting the value of wattage down to the customer....even those that have owned them for years. I would never buy solar.....

Solar companies are now cutting the value of wattage down to the customer....even those that have owned them for years. I would never buy solar.....
I am not sure what you mean. "Solar" companies, or power companies? If you are referring to the amount paid to the solar owner for the electricity sold to the power company, then I agree. There is no reason to purchase more panels than it takes to meet your own need. The excess produced and put into the grid during the day is returned to the solar owner at night, so the idea is to produce and receive energy, not money. If you plan it correctly, it does not matter what the energy company pays because you are simply giving and receiving equal amounts of energy, regardless of price.

So What Does a Wind Mill Cost Planted in The Ocean Versus A Wind Mill Planted On Shore in The Dirt?

As of today, offshore wind energy costs almost three times what onshore does. As with many technologies, the price will drop as production increases. Solar and onshore wind were once considered expensive, but are now similar to coal in terms of cost (measured in dollars, not other impacts) simply because industry has ramped up to deliver in volume.

As of today, offshore wind energy costs almost three times what onshore does. As with many technologies, the price will drop as production increases. Solar and onshore wind were once considered expensive, but are now similar to coal in terms of cost (measured in dollars, not other impacts) simply because industry has ramped up to deliver in volume.
Wind and solar look better when the government discourages and undermines oil and coal too. Obama said a coal company can build a new power plant, but we'll bankrupt them with regulation and taxes if they do.

Wind and solar look better when the government discourages and undermines oil and coal too. Obama said a coal company can build a new power plant, but we'll bankrupt them with regulation and taxes if they do.
Yep, and what do all these large ships hauling coal to china run on. ?? and then we sell what…something like 10 million extra tons of coal to china last year. The country with the cleanest facilities to burn coal are being hamstrung by our government and the country with the worst facilities gets extra coal to burn. Must be some special left math used to figure that one out.

As it stands today, some politicians prefer subsidies for fossil fuels and work actively against renewables, while others do the opposite. I would prefer that all work toward providing energy--no matter what sort--and let market forces decide our best options. But it is difficult to do when we cannot agree on the costs of each in terms of impact. And so politics, not science, wins the day.

And facts are often the first casualty of politics. Most people believe that Obama opposed fossil fuels simply because he also approved of renewables, and are shocked to learn that his administration increased oil production more than any other. It did not serve the interests of either party to publicize the fact since many people are committed to one or the other on the advice of pundits and pols. Wedge issues and disgruntled voters/viewers provide more support than solutions.

Last edited:
And facts are often the first casualty of politics. Most people believe that Obama opposed fossil fuels simply because he also approved of renewables, and are shocked to learn that his administration increased oil production more than any other.
Oil production increased under Obama because of fracking technology, mostly on private ground. How do you think these climate alarmists go to all these climate accords around the world? Sailing ships?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom