Enjoy

That generation of Wyoming hunters sucked the marrow right out of hunting in this state. And want to act completely fuggin’ miffed that it’s not as good, or rather as easy as it used to be. Fuggers were born on third base, and carry on like they hit a triple.

Cool, looks like an accomplished gunsmith. Says nothing about his understanding of wildlife management and wildlife policy, which is clearly lacking.
He only has 55+ years of hunting those elk along the North Fork of the Shoshone. Area 51 and 53 elk and their downward demise and forced limited quota status clearly show he’s spot on. Those areas allowed harvests of 300 elk per year before wolves were mismanaged. Now they only offer barely 50 licenses and harvest rates considerably less and they’ll likely never go back to General license hunting. Sad.

I agreed with the title of his OpEd. Not much after that.

Don't think the TF was ever intended to fix problems with the G&F. I believe it was to intended to fix hunters problems. Real or perceived.

Don't forget, he's Zumbo's neighbor.
Not only that he is his gunsmith and friend. Next time you are near Cody stop in at his shop and have a look yourself. He was personal friends with Les Bowman one of the engineers behind the 7mm development. He is also a neighbour and gunsmith for Jim Zumbo formerly from Outdoor Life magazine. Les Bowman who famously guided for years in the Thorofare and South Fork area and Les introduced Randy to Col. Townsend Whelen and the late Abdorezha Pahlavi, brother of the Shah of Iran. Only 55+ years of gunsmithing experience.:cool::cool::cool:

Why anyone would ever spend 2 seconds of their lives trying to fix a bent barrel is strange to me. Buy a new barrel and be done with it.
Almost any new barrel can have a small Kant. This is an old established gunsmithing and metallurgy process. Anyone who spends a lot of time time hunting with horses has had these types of accidents and will be thankful and appreciate such a fix. The barrels are made of metals which have a memory. This method is old , goes back to WWI , British number 1 Manlicher barrels were thin and easily bent even in a small stock. The rifles had to be fixed in the field. Replacment parts were not easily brought back into battle . Some times they would fix the barrel this way by just removing the wood, leaving it in the receiver and all the while in the trenches and being shot at. Outfitters and sportsmen send hundreds of rifles per year to professional gunsmiths which have been damaged by hunters in the field, normally by a rifle in a scabbard taking a big bounce against a tree or a rock. This is a proven historical method of fixing them.

Almost any new barrel can have a small Kant. This is an old established gunsmithing and metallurgy process. Anyone who spends a lot of time time hunting with horses has had these types of accidents and will be thankful and appreciate such a fix. The barrels are made of metals which have a memory. This method is old , goes back to WWI , British number 1 Manlicher barrels were thin and easily bent even in a small stock. The rifles had to be fixed in the field. Replacment parts were not easily brought back into battle . Some times they would fix the barrel this way by just removing the wood, leaving it in the receiver and all the while in the trenches and being shot at. Outfitters and sportsmen send hundreds of rifles per year to professional gunsmiths which have been damaged by hunters in the field, normally by a rifle in a scabbard taking a big bounce against a tree or a rock. This is a proven historical method of fixing them.
I'm sure it's a proven process to fix barrels...but in the times when barrels were hard to get or needed barrels in war time. That is not the case any more. If you're going to pull a bent barrel off a gun these days...just replace it. If you can't find a barrel due to supply issues, put it in the safe, use another gun, and order a new barrel for the future.

I'm sure it's a proven process to fix barrels...but in the times when barrels were hard to get or needed barrels in war time. That is not the case any more. If you're going to pull a bent barrel off a gun these days...just replace it. If you can't find a barrel due to supply issues, put it in the safe, use another gun, and order a new barrel for the future.
It is still widely utilised by many old school gunsmiths and saves you a bundle of money. You would be a fan if you ever hunt much with horses and deep Wilderness style hunting. Do you discard a computer just because it gets dropped? I guess you’re just part of that disposable generation. I was always taught to fix things, work with what you have with quality long lasting items. So you can just spend, spend and spend some more until the creditors won't let you buy anything else.:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Not only that he is his gunsmith and friend. Next time you are near Cody stop in at his shop and have a look yourself. He was personal friends with Les Bowman one of the engineers behind the 7mm development. He is also a neighbour and gunsmith for Jim Zumbo formerly from Outdoor Life magazine. Les Bowman who famously guided for years in the Thorofare and South Fork area and Les introduced Randy to Col. Townsend Whelen and the late Abdorezha Pahlavi, brother of the Shah of Iran. Only 55+ years of gunsmithing experience.:cool::cool::cool:
How many rifles has he built for you?

How many rifles has he built for you?
I have one of his custom takedown rifles chambered in .308 and 22-250. It shoots amazing.
33A9D007-7FA3-40BF-8E8E-53F1D104E7C7.jpeg

When I see a gunsmith drop a Deltronics pin down a barrel to check for straightness, I'll be impressed. Checking for "wabble" with his finger, not so much. Does your smith know the OD and ID aren't concentric?

Randy Selby’s credibility and testimonials from thousands of satisfied customers speak for itself. The owner of the Cody trading company, himself a gunsmith had this to say about Randy.

“It was really a pleasant surprise when I got my first look at Randy’s shop and his vast amount of equipment. He had an extensive amount of dies, reamers, bullet molds, power tools, bench grinders, drills, gunsmthing tools, etc, including an extensive library of technical data. In fact, I don’t think that I have ever seen a better collection of gunsmithing tools and equipment in any shop I have ever visited, or in fact, owned. Some of Randy’s reamers and special tools I have never seen before and he told me that much of what he’d acquired had been given to him from his Grandfather before his death and he had inherited the remainder upon his death.

Some of the special jigs and gun working fixtures he said he had designed and built himself as there were none on the market in the caliber he wanted.

The amount of time, material and expertise that is necessary to accomplish this is tremendous.

Randy probably has a life time of work in the special tools and equipment in his shop. Many of his tools are one of a kind, and to duplicate would have to be special made by a master gunsmith.” https://randyscustomrifles.com/testimonials/

If you like his work, that's all that really matters. I cut metal for decades and after getting into rifle hunting learned pretty quick that gunsmith and machinist weren't synonymous.

How could anyone not trust a guy who scratches his butt on a YouTube video and smacks rifle barrels on logs to straighten them??
Special forces and LE even prefer those bent barrels as you can shoot around a corner. Maybe you’re just jealous he got rid of his itch and your old burning hemmorhoids just keep lingering and festering. Barrel straightening has been around a long time and if you ever hunt much with horses you would appreciate it’s usefulness.

Last edited:
My dad and his buddies built "custom cruisers"

One of his friends was an old body and fender guy.

He would "talk" to metal, get "the molecules real happy" with a little heat and then a tap, and dents would pop out.

There are dudes that have skills that few have. I watched some clips, you have to appreciate the art.

Special forces and LE even prefer those bent barrels as you can shoot around a corner. Maybe you’re just jealous he got rid of his itch and your old burning hemmorhoids just keep lingering and festering. Barrel straightening has been around a long time and if you ever hunt much with horses you would appreciate it’s usefulness.
Ive hunted horseback for over 30 years and have never bent a barrel. I must be doing something wrong...

Ive hunted horseback for over 30 years and have never bent a barrel. I must be doing something wrong...
That’s probably why your gun shoots a 4 inch group but hey, still does the job.. LOL. When I was a guide the Outfitter took at least one a year to a gunsmith, it’s well known amongst avid Outdoorsman it can happen and in most cases can be inexpensively fixed, depending upon the severity. Randy has done a bunch of them.

That’s probably why your gun shoots a 4 inch group but hey, still does the job.. LOL. When I was a guide the Outfitter took at least one a year to a gunsmith, it’s well known amongst avid Outdoorsman it can happen and in most cases can be inexpensively fixed, depending upon the severity. Randy has done a bunch of them.
I have never heard of a single person bending a barrel. You dont know any of my rifles from that cheerio shaped hole under your nose. Keep commenting, its very entertaining the level of doodoo you are spilling.

I have a cousin that rolled a truck and bent 2.

And a friend that rolled a wheeler and bent a muzzleloader.

Both trucks and ATV were invented because horses suck(yup I said it) so it seems fairly common rifles get bent them

I have a cousin that rolled a truck and bent 2.

And a friend that rolled a wheeler and bent a muzzleloader.

Both trucks and ATV were invented because horses suck(yup I said it) so it seems fairly common rifles get bent them
New barrels don't cost enough to ever make me want to straighten one in the highly unlikely event I were ever to bend one.

Haven't been hunting but 43 years, including some on horses, some on ATVs, a whole lot on foot never bent a barrel yet. Never known anyone that has bent one either.

Can happen for sure and if it ever happens I have a whole stable of replacements.

Randy is a talented gunsmith. His YouTube videos/opinions are pure comedy though.
I know it’s common practice to “bend” a shotgun barrel to adjust POI but I would never trust bending a rifle barrel. The force needed to bend it in the first place would be enough for me to not trust it even if bent back. Barrels are cheap and replacing one would be my chosen method.

New barrels don't cost enough to ever make me want to straighten one in the highly unlikely event I were ever to bend one.

Haven't been hunting but 43 years, including some on horses, some on ATVs, a whole lot on foot never bent a barrel yet. Never known anyone that has bent one either.

Can happen for sure and if it ever happens I have a whole stable of replacements.

The muzzleloader did get bent back, but it was an old hawken, so it wasn't like it shot 1/2". groups anyway.

The other 2last I saw were hanging on a rack, good conversation pieces

Who did you guide for?

Randy is a talented gunsmith. His YouTube videos/opinions are pure comedy though.
I know it’s common practice to “bend” a shotgun barrel to adjust POI but I would never trust bending a rifle barrel. The force needed to bend it in the first place would be enough for me to not trust it even if bent back. Barrels are cheap and replacing one would be my chosen method.
I once went with a bunch of folks from my gun club I belonged to down to the the Savage factory. Savage "trues" all their barrels with a very simple technique, you look through the bore at a white wall. It is amazing how easy it is to see the bend in the bore. Even if it is only a thousandth or two off. I was allowed to try my hand at straightening one. It was quite easy with their simple overhead press. I was told when they measure a bore with a laser device after this procedure, they were nearly perfect or as close as they could measure.

Hang on while he googles it...
No need to I know them well, I hunted in the Wyoming Range with the Young family but they sold out in the 1970s. An amazing experience and back then every high mountain basin held big bucks. It’s sad what it has become today. Perhaps you should google how to straighten a bent barrel.

I have never heard of this Randy gunsmith. If you ask anyone about a good gunsmith everyone says Heart mnt precision. He builds M14's but can do any work. He worked at colt for 20 plus years.

So anyway why wasnt this randy guy at the task force meeting?? I have never seen his gunshop and been by Jim zumbo's house several times. My dad packed a cow elk out for him 25 years ago or so...Years ago the biggest mule deer i have ever seen was in jims yard. Had to be pushing the 30 inch mark. Drop tines and kickers. The buck laid right by the bird feeder that Merlyn had out. I think that was jims wife name

I once went with a bunch of folks from my gun club I belonged to down to the the Savage factory. Savage "trues" all their barrels with a very simple technique, you look through the bore at a white wall. It is amazing how easy it is to see the bend in the bore. Even if it is only a thousandth or two off. I was allowed to try my hand at straightening one. It was quite easy with their simple overhead press. I was told when they measure a bore with a laser device after this procedure, they were nearly perfect or as close as they could measure.
All barrels have a “curvature” to them. It’s impossible to drill a bore perfectly straight but there are a few barrel manufacturers that get pretty darn close. Some gunsmiths time the muzzle with the curvature at 12O clock also.
Was Savage “truing” their barrels after chambering or before?

All barrels have a “curvature” to them. It’s impossible to drill a bore perfectly straight but there are a few barrel manufacturers that get pretty darn close. Some gunsmiths time the muzzle with the curvature at 12O clock also.
Was Savage “truing” their barrels after chambering or before?
Exactly what I was saying earlier in the thread. All barrels have a small Kant to them. Savage at the time did this before chambering. This was about 2005 as I recall.
The barrel blanks were cut to length, bores were drilled and then semi-polished, the barrel blank was then turned down to its final dimensions, crowned, and checked for straightness.
The chamber was then cut in afterwards by automated equipment. The Savage 110 Long Range hunter IMO is one of the best factory produced hunting rifle value for the cost.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom