Endeavour to Persevere

tailchasers

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-13 AT 10:28AM (MST)[p]Last weekend was the archery doe antelope opener here in Colorado and after some great heart ache of a miss, a buck standing in the way of the doe, 95 degree heat, and blown stalks we had to pick it up and call it a week until the following weekend. Weekend number 2 rolled around and we changed up our a bit and left the house at 4:30AM to be set up and in the blind before first light. Not 15 minutes after getting settled in the blind we see a shadow move about at 50 yards making its way toward the water hole we are on. In walks this massive 14" buck with short cutters for a drink in front of us at 10 yards. We can hear the sounds of him slurping the water and the water falling into his belly. Too bad we had a doe tag but even still what a great start to a day. About 30 minutes later out in the distance we can hear the trotting of a small group of females and sure as ever they are coming in for a morning drink. Jason gets set as the does pays no attention to us and as the old doe lowers her head for that first morning sip I can hear Jason breathe with a certain calmness as he is focused. He touched the trigger on his release and WACK he mistakenly hits the hub blind support rod with his arrow sending carbon splinters everywhere exploding the arrow with the does making a fast retreat. I can see frustration and anger over come my son as I have no words to say but just sit there listening to him mumble quietly in frustration. I felt so bad for him but this is part of bow hunting and if something bad can happen it will. He finally calms down getting settled back. Hours pass with several antelope seen and they walked on by at a measly 100 yard heading for an adjacent watering hole without even a turn of their head noticing us. I could tell frustration was setting in again but on we sat. Shortly before noon we spot a small group of 3 bucks making their way toward us. We expected them to turn and make their way to the other water hole but they walk straight in and gave us a 10 yard show for a good 15 minutes drinking, scrapping, and racking horns on the brush displaying early rutting behavior. Quite the welcomed sight which brought hope to my son and put warm smiles to our faces. The bucks left and with nothing in view we made a quick retreat out of the blind for some lunch and to move around. We drove around discussing the days events and formulated a plan for the rest of the days hunt which would include putting a decoy on the adjacent water hole in an attempt to steer the antelope towards us. This is an odd strategy we know but previous attempts with the decoy showed the goats would shy away from the decoy and go to another watering area. So we were going to give it a shot. With the decoy set, we settle in the blind and see the first group work towards us. They look up stopping taking notice if the decoy and make a bead line straight into the adjacent water hole. Our hearts sank as our plan failed. First group of does, no big deal we'll sit and wait for the next group. Next group came in and the same story. During this seasons hunt though I am encouraging Jason to make his own choices letting him conduct his hunt. Goats are now coming in next to us with a fair amount of regularity and Jason whispered to me he wanted to sneak over the the other water hole, grab that decoy, and set it up by us since this season the decoy is now proving to be a magnet rather than a deterant. He grabs the decoy and sets it up 15 yards from us. Off in the distance we see 3 does making their way in toward water and all indications show they are going to walk right on by to the other water hole. His head sinks as they are almost past us when the lead does looks our way taking notice of the decoy. Like on a string she walks straight to the decoy. Jason is sitting there in dismay and I have to remind him to get his bow ready as she is coming in. Without even pausing she walked to the edge of the water lowers her head and begins drinking. Jason draws back while I peak over his should to watch the show and soon see his arrow strike home behind the shoulder. Elation overcomes him as he sees her run off with blood pouring out with every step. 100 yards later she stops, stumbles a little, and tips over. Cheering ensues as he has harvested his doe. On the way home we are talking about the hunt and he comments upon all the days events stating how this has been the perfect season for him. I smile with a warm heart praising him on his accomplishment. I believe his smile says it all.

2592img_20130907_193259_508.jpg

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Apologize for the spelling and grammar as I did his on my phone.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

TC,
That is exactly how we will raise another generation of great hunters. Also kudos on solid mentoring.
Adversity creates courage and strength.
Thanks for the great report

It sounds like you 2 had a great father/son hunt together. All the ups and downs make great memories. Congrats on your success.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom