Encore Rifles...

H

HillbillyNnevada

By the amount of professional hunters using these single shot centerfire rifles on the Outdoor Channel, Thompson must be laying out some major cash on all these endorsement deals. However, I don't know anyone that actually owns one of these single shots rifles which makes me wonder how Thompson justifies all these advertisements. Maybe I am missing something and these rifles are more popular that I thought.

Are these guns really that popular with consumers?
What is the upside to a single shot rifle?

I love mine!

I have a 7mag barrel, a .50 cal barrel with scope and another .50 cal barrel with open sites.

Instead of going out and having to buy different rifles, I just buy a barrel in the caliber I want and bingo...done!

If I did more turkey hunting I would get the shotgun barrel.

I am looking at a Varmit Cal. barrel for my X-mas wish list and scope.

Robb

You make an interesting point (you're right about them being on "every show"). I actually asked myself about the popularity and practicality of that gun when I saw (on TV) 2 more of them this morning. I own a lot of rifles, as do my friends, family and the hunters I know. I teach hunter ed and have had LOTS of guns show up at my class or home in that capacity.

My neighbor bought an Encore for his teenage son; it is the only interchangeable barrel rifle of which I know.....that is actually in use.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I've been wondering ghe same thing Hillbilly,...for quite some time now and as with you, I don't know anyone with one of these rifles. As pleasedear has one with several barrles for it, I can see the upside to owning one. One downside is they have a long locktime having a hammer, but that may not bother most folks.

I have one with .223 and .270 barrel. I am a lefty so I bought the gun thinking it would be easier to add calibers without trying to find a lefty. I simply love mine.

I had an Encore pro hunter last year with 50 cal muzzy barrel and a 243 barrel. Good rifle especially the muzzleloader. But the rifle barrels I was not very impressed with espesially for the price (760.00 for the muzzleloader and 320.00 for the 243 barrel). I sold them both and bought an omega for less than half th e price. The omega shoots every bit as good as the encore and is a much simpler design. I think there are better rifle out there for the money.

When the Encore Pro Hunter first came out I read in two mags that it was the most accurate "out of the box" rifle a person could buy. I do not know if that is true but that was the hype being built up about it. fatrooster.

"My neighbor bought an Encore for his teenage son; it is the only interchangeable barrel rifle of which I know.....that is actually in use."

New England Firearms are another single shot for which you can buy various rifle barrels in differing calibers, as well as shotgun, and muzzle loader... We have a little NEF Handyrifle (youth sized) in .243. It is a tack driver.

My buddy has an encore in .223, 30 06. .50 cal muzzy and shot gun for turkey. He loves it i love shooting it.

i plus side of only having on shot is you get preciss on all your shots thinking you may only have this one shot before it runs.

The experience I've had with them I haven't been impressed. Especially the synthetic stocks. They are so flimsy that the smallest amount of pressure on it will throw off your shot. For the price you can get much better shooting guns in my opinion.

I love my brothers Encore, they shoot sweet. I love to muzzle loader hunt, but I hate rifles. I got a 5x6 25" wide 170 class buck in 2005 with my bros encore at 200 yards running. SO now I got a TC omega with a thumbhole in the stock.

As for the rifle barrels, they are not that great. But for muzzle loading this gun is sweet. You can get them fairly low in cost, but if I have a big buck at 200 yards plus I want to be able to reload quickly, not one shot, by one shot.

dillon

That is why you make you first shot count. I have shot antelope out to 350 with my encore. The one thing I do not like is the smaller gun can be a little unstable in the wyoming wind.

When I worked at Sportsman's here in Round Rock, Texas we sold a bunch of them. Very popular. I don't know if I would use one in a state where the country is more open and you may have to shoot longer with more shots. Most of these Texas hunters hunt over feeders in blinds of distances of really no more than 100 yards. Plus the brush is so thick that it only takes a deer one or two jumps to be lost in the brush so you need to make your first shot count. Plus, the ability to change barrels makes them very versatile and a good option for a lot of people.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I have an Encore with a 26" 7mm Mag barrel and a 28" 50 caliber muzzy barrel. I love the way they both shoot. I took my 6X6 Muzzy Bull last year with it at 180 yards and could not of ask for a better gun. I will be putting the 7mm Mag to the test this November in Idaho.
OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

I love mine. I like using custom barrels you can do about anything with them. I shot caribou with a 15" 338 win mag encore pistol. Was going to hunt buff with a 15" 470nitro but the recoil kept removing the rear sight. Shot bear with them.

When you hunt with a single-shot firearm, you have a different mindset when it comes to pulling the trigger. You make sure you connect the first time.

Check out MGM for custom barrels.

you wouldn't have to be crazy to pay 600 bucks for a single shot, but it would help. for 600 bucks i would buy 2 stevens model 200 rifles, i wouldn't swap barrels, just open up a different guncase. but if you enjoy shooting an encore more power to ya, all guns are fun. ce61

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom