Emery county

J

JamesM

Been working in Moab and monday morning on my way to work as the sun was coming up around the price, loa exit, a cow moose was off the free way about a hundred yards. At first I thought it was just a moo cow and my eyes were playing tricks on me. Stopped walked back and sure enough it was a cow moose all by her self. Kicking myself for not having a camera on me. My question has anyone else seen moose around I-70 is there a small herd around there? Or was this a stragler who wondered far far away from home?
Thanks James

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 03:30AM (MST)[p]There have been a few Moose transplants in that general area (just north of Old Women)in the 80's and 90's. The moose have really never taken off, but I manage to usually see a couple every year. I seen a huge bull going down the freeway west from there a couple years ago. I have seen them as far south as Fishlake.

I did a little more research on it and I was surprised to see that they have relocted over 100 moose to the Fishlake and 100 to the Manti over the years. There population estimate in 2000 was 100 for the Manti and 65 for the Fishlake I believe. So if you see one in these parts your pretty lucky. It's to bad a huntable heard can't be established. I think there goal is 150 animals per unit which don't seem like near enough.

It would be nice to have more options on the moose hunts, might give me a better chance at drawing a tag before im to old. Ha doubtful just thought it was cool to see a moose on my drive to work thought I would share.

I saw a pretty good bull on the fishlake about two years ago. I have seen many moose along the Old Women in the winter.

I've seen them on the Old Women, Accord Lakes, nearly hit a bull in Salina Canyon last winter near the summit of Salina Canyon and a cow and calf near Forsyth Resevoir. Not alot of them, but they are around.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom