Elk units around Laramie

hoopscoach

I was thinking of putting in for WY elk this year and wondered if anyone had any information they are willing to share about the units around Laramie. 125 interests me because it's pretty easy to draw, the harvest success is high and there are a finite number of tags given out. Also, it's pretty close to where I live in CO. I see there are several general units in the area and wondered if they get hammered like the CO otc units do. any information would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud"

Be real careful with 125. It is an area with almost no access. Most of the elk there are controlled by the Elk Mountain Ranch and they do not allow any outside hunting. That's why the licenses are easy to draw. You might find another rancher in that area that would allow access, but you'll need to do it before you apply. Ther are very few options there.

I'd consider other areas with better access. Even a general license might be a better choice.

Good hunting.

Hey,
Well here is my opinion and views. I used to live in Laramie. I recently moved. Area 10 is ok. There are alot of people that hunt general but if you find a place that does not have that many roads or people you will do good. I have killed a bull in area 10 like that. All the other units like 8,9,6,5 have some private access that can be hard to get into or there are not that many elk on it at the time. Later in the year yes but maybe not there. Area 7 has a ton of elk but a ton of people. Game and Fish needs to do something about that area badly.
If you want to know about a specific unit let me know its kind of too much to write righr now about each one.

Haven't looked at the numbers for awhile, but you might go to the G & F's web site and look at how many yocals hunt each of those general license area's. You'll probably fall off yer chair. When I had a moose license a few years ago, I asked the biologist down there why they didn't go to limited quota for bulls and general license for cow. The way he started carrying on you'd have thought I insulted his grandmother. Bottom line is, area's like the Snowies are their cash cow. They don't care about quality, herd numbers or anything else as long as the money is rolling in. Might keep that in mind if you do apply...

Its going to be awhile till you will know for this year. There are elk here and there and everywhere just have to know where to look and quit asking the wardens why they don't do this and why they don't do that. The snowies do have elk and the population is growing. Just have to find them. I did.

I would use caution when listening to some of whats been posted here.

The general units in Wyoming are darn good elk hunting, including the snowies. The average "yocal" elk hunter is about as lazy as elk hunters get. Mainly because they can be and still slop into an elk despite the laziness.

I barely make an honest effort at hunting elk in Wyoming and kill a bull every year and generally a cow as well. I dont hunt near roads, but I'm not 10 miles back in the sticks either. It could be scary if I ever got serious about elk.

Also, as to unit 125...I'd look at some alternatives on how to access the public land in that unit. Something with rotors perhaps.

Just sayin'....

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom