Elk units 30,31,32

W

WhiskeyMan

Woooow, have things changed in the last decade. Used to be that you could hunt hard and find a 340-350 bull in these units and unit 100.......the sands unit. Looks like too much demand for these tags has decreased the size of the bulls since then to 280-320. A couple years younger than a 350" bull. the sands unit has gone waaaay downhill.

Is this correct? But........what if a good, hard working hunter with time on his hands did his thing. Could this hunter whack a 340-350 bull in these units?

Application deadline is coming up and Carter's says with 32......yes......and with 30 & 31.....nope. 30 has a decrease in tags recently while the other two have increased. This doesn't necessarily mean more elk in 31 and 32.......but a younger age class being harvested.

Anyone have any input to offer on this hot topic? Haven't had the opportunity to scout these units and I appreciate the input from locals in the know and others who have experience there.

Deadline is Jan 31.......and I have max points and several 330-350 bulls to my credit in recent years.

What say you?

I have found that the closer you get to Utah, the harder it is to get deer, elk, or pronghorn tags in WY. Some of the units are good, but I have found the more north and central you go the easier it is to get a tag and you will probably shoot something bigger. I have not hunted 30,31,32 but what I have heard they are overrated for how hard it is to get the tag.

Have you thought about any of the units in the Big Horns? We are seeing some awful nice bulls on the west side where we hunt and my buddy got a 357" bull last season on the opening morning of rifle season after a somewhat slow bow season in September. If you bow hunt and have enough time, you could hunt the rut in September and then fall back on the rifle season if you don't fill and I think you would probably have a good chance at a big one!

I have been on the hunts in those units the last two years. I killed a 344 bull on my hunt and my friend killed a 340 on his. I saw bulls over 350 but spent a lot of time and shoe leather finding those bulls. Before the rifle hunt haad started they were gone...

I think a 350 class bull could be had but it would take a lot of luck. I have over 40 days hunting in those units in the last three years. Good luck.

WhiskeyMan, My situation sounds exact same to you, and after research I am passing on those 30-32 units in favor of 38 or bordering units.

I think you will have to work VERY hard and be VERY lucky to kill an honest to goodness bull over 340. Plan on 310. I live close to these 3 units and am looking further north to burn my points. Cool country, but the size of bulls are down. And the draw odds are horrible thanks in part to the good ole' Carter boys. Gotta love their service!!!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom