ELK UNIT 60

J

JakeS

Heading into the the thorofare for a DIY elk hunt. This will be my second season going up there. Just wondered if anyone had any good advice, or super secret hony holes they wanted to point me towards! lol

Thanks in advance

It's about a 25- 30 mile horse back ride, Open cr.. near the SE corner of the park...
Good luck, Been 20 + years since I was in that country. Bet it all grew up thick since the fire...Look out for griz, take care of your meat...

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-11 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the tips! ya last year the cover was very thick. Based on the lack of response on this thread, I guess not many people hunt the area or they are very tight lipped about talking about it. Maybe I'm not offering enough. Here are some pics from last year. More to follow next month!

NOT your freindly neighborhood Black Bear!

JakeHunt084.jpg

JakeHunt059.jpg

God, what beautiful country! I'm going to have to go in there some day, grizzly bears be damned, LOL!!!

We had a big boar charge us at 60 yards over on Silver Tip. He was one of 7 we saw last year. If yer wanting to improve yer odds on a big one, you'll want to be hunting over towards Nate Vance's old camp which Bill Perry now operates. Later in the season is best and if you have the flexibility of going any time in Oct., pay attention to the weather and head in after a big snow storm. A lot elk in that country start their migration out of Yellowstone near there. A friend was up a couple weeks ago and sent pic's. Still quite a bit of snow in places. He said they saw several big bulls. I'll be up there again next year on a sheep hunt.

Thanks for the great help! What happened with the bear? Did you have to shoot it?!?! A charging boar will put hair on your chest fast I bet!

due to work schedules we are going in opening week, but I may be able to sneak back up late in the season if I haven't tagged out. Thanks for the post! I love it up there and love talking about that place, but not many people know much about it. Thanks!

We shot a couple shots in the air and it turned at 20 yards. It ran to a tree and started clawing it while growling and snarling at us.

Wow! that would be pretty intense. I heard of 2 that were shot in self defense while packing meat out. I really don't know how to send a pm, but I'd like to know if you saw many elk or not. Everyone says the elk in the area have been eaten to pieces by wolves and that its not worth hunting anymore. I'd be interested to hear what you experience has been, and I'd be willing to tell you about mine.

There's plenty of elk in the Thorofare. Biggest herd we saw last year had over 40 head in it. I think timing is more critical than in past years. I think later is better. Early season you're hunting resident elk. After the snow starts coming down, elk start working out of the park. Towards the latter part of the season, you'll be lucky to even see anyone up there. Take a look at some of the outfitter websites. Looks to me like they're still taking elk.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom