Elk unit 22 or 24? Need some info. please

• Thread starter muleyhunterfromhell
  • Start date
M

muleyhunterfromhell

My buddy and I are trying to figure out wich area to apply for. Niether one of us have hunted either area, but both areas seem promising. Just looking for some general information on the areas and which area you guys think is the best. Thanks for any and all information. I am willing to give information or help anyone that wants to hunt western wyoming.

Triple BB thanks for the response. I guess I should of been more specific. Were not looking to rewrite the record books. just looking for a good quality, fun hunt. See elk and good access. We are hikers and love to hunt on foot. Were not afraid to cover country on foot. just trying to see which area is better. Thanks for any information.

Excessive hiking probably won't be an advantage in either area. Most of the elk won't be on or far up Ferris unless pushed there by other hunters. Green will be covered in atv's the first week of the season. Green has more elk, but very few large bulls given the herd size. The G&F manages Green for hunter opportunity. The herd on Ferris is a lot smaller but does have better quality animals. However, its all relative. If you figure Green has 500 head and 20 large bulls and Ferris has 150 head and 20 large bulls then the difference probably comes down to draw odds, numbers of hunters and access. If yer wanting an easier hunt and happy with a 5pt, go with Green. If yer hoping for something bigger that may require more work, go with Ferris. One of these days when I hunt the western side of the state, you can return the favor...

And they will get even tougher to draw this year as Eastmans hyped them up quite a bit in their most recent magazine. I don't know if they are worth all the hype but I'm a little bummed because I have a friend who has access to private ground in 22 and we were going to try burning max points there soon but it may take a while longer now.

Triple_BB, Thank you so much for the information. I will gladly return the favor anytime. If you ever want to get together and go look around in western wyoming let me know, there ain't to many places around there I haven't been. One more question for you, How is the vehicle access in area 22? What is the best way to access the area? I have heard that the area is mostly roadless. Just wondering what the best way to get in there would be? Are there places to camp in the area? O.k. that is enough questions, thank you for your information and your time. Let me know if there is anywhere in western wyoming you might be looking at going and I can hook you up

Most of the north side is public. Its intermixed on the south. You'll have to spend some time scouting to find the elk to know where you'll want to hunt. Vehicle access shouldn't be an issue unless the elk are scattered on the deeded ground to the SE. Further south is checker board.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom