Elk Stix

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
Has anyone made them ? I followed the instructions of 100? for 1st hour, then 125? for 5 hours then 170? then cool down to 100. They aren't even close to being done so I set for 165 and will have to wait.
Any help or advice much appreciated.

That's a long time at low temp. You definitely have the salt cure in there right? I make snack sticks in the oven 2 hours at 170 then 30 minutes at 195. Turns out good.

>That's a long time at low
>temp. You definitely have the
>salt cure in there right?
>I make snack sticks in
>the oven 2 hours at
>170 then 30 minutes at
>195. Turns out good.

I have the instacure yes, it's the HI Mountain Elk Stix kit.

The internal temp needs to reach like 160*. How long did you leave them in at 170, and do you have an oven thermometer so you truly know you are reaching 170*? I turn up the heat in the end to take this guess work out. Sounds like you are using a smoker. You can finish them in the oven if you want. Or just crank up the heat and get it done.

I'm using a Masterbuilt Electric smoker. I turned it up to 180 and the bottom rack is done 3 more racks to go and then I have to smoke the other 12.5 lbs.

I have a Green Mountain pellet grill. Smoked some Hi Mountain Snackin sticks a couple months ago. Instructions say 200 degrees for 2 hrs or until 165 degrees internal temp. Did exactly as said and they were actually a little overdone. Still delicious though. Hi Mountain makes some good stuff.

You make those with burger?

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

7258920161203110737.jpg

I used 22 lbs of Elk with fat removed and 3 lbs Pork Fat. I pulled out the VacMaster 260 Pro that I've never used and had for 3 years. They came out perfect. It just took a longer time than what HI Mtn directions said. I think about 11 hours total.

>You make those with burger?
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

Ya wisz I just use burger with high mntn season kit. They're really easy to make.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom