elk steak taste test (aged vs. non-aged)

T

thirtythirty

Since there were a few different opinions on aging wild game, I decided to do my own taste test. The meat used was spike elk backstrap(four steaks total). Two steaks had been aged in a controlled climate for 12 days. The other two were shrink-wrapped and frozen the same day the elk was harvested. I decided to keep the seasoning at a minimum as to not distort the taste too much. I used a small amount of salt and pepper an brushed each with a small amount of olive oil. I then grilled two to a medium rare, and two to a medium. In a blind taste test, with my family participating, the aged won hands down. However, the un-aged was very good also. That's all.

30-30

You could of at least invited a few of us to participate in this scientific study. :)
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I have not seen much difference in TASTE, but have seen a big difference in TENDERNESS. In that regard, a spike would be fairly tender anyway. DId they notice any difference in "chewability". Next time you kill an old cow or bull, try the same test and let us know.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

30-30 I have read that its more difficult to age wild game then cattle because of the lean muscle isn't in beaded with fat like a farm raised animal thats cool you guys did it and found a noticeable difference i have gotten away from aging my animals the last 6 years i may try it again.
Also i have noticed a huge improvement the last few years with the deer- i have been skinning them right of the bat and have been astonished at how great they are tasting no harsh game flavor at all with burger and the steaks have been great on the BBQ as long as you don't over cook them. It has been by far the best game meat i have had in a long time including some older elk.

Next time you should try the test with some steaks from the hindquarter. They seem to have more of a game taste and be tougher. I can't see it(aging) changing the taste but I can see it being more tender. I age all be meat too. The best way to take the game taste out that I have found is to soak the meat in milk overnight before cooking.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

I've tried aging elk the last couple times and I think it is more tender but I haven't done the blind test but that sounds like a good test. I have found a good book that goes into great details on aging game meat. The book is called "From Mountain to Tabletop" by Matt Pelton that I'd recommend.

30-30 - thanks for the info. I am a firm believer in hanging elk when conditions permit. The last 2 years I have hung a spike and the tenderness was noticable, as others have said.

Thanks for sharing. What were your controlled conditions? Just wondering how they stack up against what I do.

4b019fc254d58a18.jpg

Ya hear that we're using code names

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. After thinking about it, I do need to choose a lesser quality piece of meat next time. The spike backstrap probably tastes good no matter how it is prepared(within reason). Unfortunately, it will have to wait until next year because the rest of the meat has been aged. Maybe someone else can carry on this very important work, this year, and publish the results for us.

30-30

"What were your controlled conditions?"

Yeah, double-blind study is best. No alcohol before hand.

It did some blind taste testing this summer with fresh Alaska salmon caught off my boat.

It was surprising that most could not tell the difference between chum and silver salmon. Couldn't fool me cuz I'm a conna-sewer of this stuff. I personally have a hard time telling king from sockeye - tho they are both my fav's.

>According to Eel, He says
>his wife prefers his aged
>MEAT to all others.

That is because she never had the "un-aged meat":)

I have noticed on deer when I am not able to hang them for a few days that the meat (including backstraps) are noticably less tender. Not much difference in taste but just alot more tender when hung in dry cool conditions for atleast a few days. Also alot of people I know cut off the sent glands on the hind legs before they even start gutting the animal and they claim it makes the meat more gamey if left on for too long.

Jingow now that was pretty good. LMAO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom