Elk Quotas

Nope, but if you look in the draw odds for last year for the particular unit you're looking at, you can get a real good idea of what you're dealing with on number of tags issued.

Take the prior years quota and add 25% for bull tags. WYGFD needs to sell enough tags to pay for their employee raises, new trucks, and coffee pots..........and new red shirts.

Where in the world do any of you get the idea that proper trophy game management (i.e. age class of bulls harvested and bull:cow ratio) has anything to do with tag quotas???

Right WB! I didn't see anything in this thread that had the two even remotely related to each other!

I don't drink.

The number one goal of a gov't agency is self preservation. They ALWAYS come first. Even before those paying their bills. this is the American way.

A gov't usually has a fiscal year beginning July 1. Therefore, their budgeting is finalized in May-June. WYGFD has obviously placed more importance on their employees and their bene's than the very trophy quality and quality hunting experiences of the hunters who pay their bills. $1,100 and 15% draw chance to shoot a 4-5 year old 300" bull???

Given this, they have to plan their budget around raises, new trucks, fancy sidearms, etc. They determine THEIR needs....first. And then, they have to sell enough tags at current tag fees to pay for all this stuff. Hence.....final tag quotas aren't set until the budget is adopted by the legislature in June.

Here in the S.W. Regions I imagine they quotas will be the same or more from last year....The Elk population is still way up around here...in fact one unit is still hunting cows till Jan 31....

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom