Elk point question

desperatehills

Very Active Member
My wife and I are non-residents with 6 points. I was considering applying for unit 30 in the special draw. I know the odds are long but do I have a chance at all? I looked up the Quotas for last year, there was one NR tag in the special draw and one in the regular draw. If my number is pulled in the special draw with a group application of 2 will it pull the non-resident tag from the regular draw? Thanks for the help

I think I just figured it out. I was looking at the random draw. There were 3 tags in the preference point pool and 17 first choice applicants last year. If nothing changes I have no chance in the PP pool and there is not enough tags in the random pool for my wife and I, unless it will pull the tag from regular price quota. Still any input would be great, Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-13 AT 09:07PM (MST)[p]You've just basicly answered your own question on the PP draws if max PPs of 7 still draws all the tags! However, whenever there are any tags in the random draw that you would go to after your PP draw is unsuccessful you could draw both tags as a party under the deer, elk, and antelope policy G&F has because 1 extra tag doesn't break the bank. It would be very low odds, but it would be possible. If you look through the various draw odds you will see where they issued a tag or two more to take care of a party that drew and technically there weren't the number of tags available for them to draw. It will, however, show as the same odds on the right as if only the number of tags left had been drawn.

Thanks TG, I did notice a few times where the actual tags were one higher than the quota. That explains it. So long as there is a chance I think I will apply. I just hate the idea of applying for a tag that I can not draw. Just like dumb and dumber "so your say'in there's a chance"

Slim chance is better than no chance but not by much. If you really want to hunt and not burn points, there are options.

I would enjoy hearing your suggestions. My wife and I bowhunt elk in our home state every year so I don't need to make Wyoming happen this year. We just want to have a good experience when we come there. We are not looking for 350" bulls, more of a opportunity type hunt where we see game most days. I chose unit 30 because of the low tag numbers could make for a good experience and it was easier to draw than 31 & 32

If you want to hunt Wyoming this year and don't draw that first choice in 30 on the special, put in for the general tag as your second choice. You will draw it and have a lot of units to choose from with that tag in order to do what you want and still be in the running in future years with your PPs. Buy the $30 NR archery permit after you draw the tag fi you want to hunt the early seasons with bow and then go back for the rifle hunt if you don't fill with the bow. That s the one option that should be a sure thing to go this year and still have your PPs left.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom