Elk guide help

T

timwlarsen

I have been trying to locate a guide to offering hunt I would like to take. Nothing jumped out at me in looking through all the guides listed in the publication. I had located a guy several years ago and now can't for the life of me find that name. Wilderness/undistrubed area, high elevation - far removed- no wall tents, no cook, mobile. More Jeremiah J like. Wondering if anyone has name or two that do that kind of hunt.

If you want nothing why get an outfitter?

Sounds like you're looking for a Thorofare area hunt, but I'd take the tent and food if I were you. I suppose an outfitter would set up a hunt like you're asking for but I'm not aware of any who make it a habit for elk.

I know a few good ones in the Bighorns if that's where you're thinking.

It is illegal for us in the Wilderness areas and many national forests as outfitters in Wyoming to do a hunt as that. We have designated camp sites and are not allowed to have "spike" camps unless for sheep and permitted from the forest service. You will not be getting far into the wilderness without horses. You could take that long to hike in there, but how will you be getting the meat out? If you are interested in a wilderness backcountry hunt WITH horses and wall tents, the outfit i guide for runs a very high success on bulls, and our camp sits 18 miles from the closest trailhead. 80% of our clients each year are return hunters. If you are interested you can PM me, if not good luck in your search.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-11 AT 03:30PM (MST)[p]Thanks of the replies. I will email both when I get some time here directly. In my mind, the reason I need a guide is because I don't have the abilty to scout. I would rather try it with horses I've done 5 years worth of 4-6 mile backpack hunts, pray your in the right drainage, pack out before getting snowed in kind of deal. Never been that mobile other than what you can hike in a day, but I love the pristeen nature of the wilderness and the roughin it nature of the hunt. I like making the 7-8 days worth of gear in a 70# pack. I guess I didn't realize that WY outfitter campsite thing. I always thought of those camps as a bit too pampered. Everyone sees it different. Some won't leave a lodge or motel. Thanks again.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom