elk erea 121 ?

J

jeremie

Just a general question to anyone that has hunted elk in this unit.I am an seasoned backpack hunter just need to know if this unit can be affectively hunted without horses.Will do what it takes to get a good bull but anything more than a 6 hr walk back makes a very touph packout for a solo hunter without hourses.Also is holding out for a 330 inch bull unrealistic.Hows the snow that time or year can I camp back where I am hunting or does weather not allow it.Thanks for any info it is much appriciated.good luck to all in the upcoming draw season

Any time you get up into the mountains out there in a season that doesn't open until 11/1 like you are talking about in 121 you never know from one hour to the next what the weather will be. Even if you are what you say, I would suggest that you do a hunt like that with at least one other person because of extreme weather possibilities, bear concerns,getting in and out of the back country safely, as well as getting that much meat out on your back if you are successful.

I've been wondering some of the same things. I would likely bring the horses, but didn't know if I'd need to pack in to the backcountry for an extended time, or if it's huntable by day riding from a trailhead camp. Anybody have any input?

Jeremie
Are you looking to bow hunt the early season or rifle hunt the late season? I assume you must have max points? Pretty slim odds in the random draw if not.

sorry about that I would probably hunt it with my rifle but my bow is not out of the quistion. I do not have max points that is why I am looking at this unit I have 4 points which if the trend stays the same it would give me a 14% chance to draw in the special draw. Last year i Packed out my bull from 5 miles t but it is a long couple days that is why i would like to keep it not much ferther than that.14% odds is good in my wourld but not if the bulls arent of the class that I am looking for.Thanks for the advice so far.

Jeremie
this is one of the units I have been researching. I am sitting on max points. I too have been looking at trying it with the bow early and then going back later in November with a rifle if necessary.

From the research I have done, it appears that you need to get pretty far into the unit to get into the better bulls. I was planning a solo DIY backpack hunt and will probably look elsewhere. I am concerned about getting a bull packed out alone before the bears decide to claim it.

sdbugler that is one of my worries aswell it will take me 2 or 3 days to get a bull out if im 5 plus miles back on foot.I have hunted in wolf country many times and never had issues but have never delt with grizzleys.not scared of them just worried about losing my meat to them.That being said if a 330 inch buulls are in huntible numbers back there I can figure out how to keep it away from them

J - are you a loner or would you want to look into going with someone else with a rifle tag? this is one of the units I'm looking at.

I would hunt with someone else just not possitive what I am doing yet but running out of time only a week or so to decide

I've deer hunted in region F and have looked over at 121. I know the wolves have been pounding that area for a few years now. Its also a heckofa hike to get back in there. Add to all of that the time of year and I'd never be back in there without horses.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

+1 CHWine! I think horses and another person along would be the minimum before I'd attempt it at that time of the year!

thanks for the responses guys I decided to wait on it another year . I just put in for 31 a long shot.Trying to figure out where to try and burn my max deer points know.Have never hunted Wyoming and im really getting the itch.Think I need to burn my deer points then find a unit I can hunt every few yrs.Know the serch to find a unit I can shoot me a 170plus buck.good luck to all.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom