Elk Decoys

S

Srogers

I recently bought a Montana Elk Decoy. I was wondering what everybody thinks about using them during the rut. Is it worth hauling it around all day or should I leave it in the truck. I would appreciate everybody's thoughts on the subject.

Did you buy it for your truck or to use in hunting the rut.
The answer to that question will give you the answer you are looking for.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Fold it out and lean it up against the truck. That way when you come back after a long day of getting skunked, there will be elk just standing around staring at your truck. You can just shoot one right there and not have to haul it out. Just joking. You are just like the rest of us. You buy so much neat gear, that when it comes down to it, you just can't, or don't want to haul it around all day long. One thing for sure, if you take it, you won't need it. If you don't you will be kicking yourself. But it's all fun.

In the past I've archery hunted a couple areas where I was out in the sage brush trying to put a stalk on some bulls. Kinda hard to get them to come into calls when they can see there's nothing there. Always wondered if a decoy might help in those situations...

Yeah I bought the "Flasher". I can't wait to try it out this
year. Let me know if you have any luck using it. Good hunting to you.

Did you have any luck in the sage? If you have any pictures I would love to see them.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-13 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]Years ago, when they first came out with the photo ones, I was convinced nothing could be more GAY! .....they even came in a little purse looking thingy!

I am 67 years old and not ashamed to admit it when I am stupid.....I get a lot of practice......I was!

5 years ago, I was on a ridge with a great vantage point, and watched an elk hunter, with a Montana decoy, draw 3 bulls to within 35 yards. The bulls actually started a huge fist fight over this cow, which allowed the hunter to move to a better shooting lane.

After the fight was over, one of the bulls went BACK to where "Miss September" was last seen, and nearly stepped on the hunter, who stuck him broadside at 3 yards!

Thru my spotting scope, at 1200 yards, that decoy appeared stunningly real...I was blown away! The slightest breeze or movement made it look absolutely real.......and I have seen an elk or 2, thru a scope in my day.

Since then, I have seen them work many times, to the point of near insanity. Watching the scenario unfold, is hilarious and VERY entertaining!

Reminds me of college guys in a nightclub at a quarter to 2, scrambling for ANY woman to take home!

IN MY OPINION, THE MOST LETHAL (ELK KILLING) ITEM TO COME ALONG IN 50 YEARS!

If they make one with a naked women, half you Nimrods would die, trying to cross 8 lanes of freeway traffic, trying to get to her first!

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

Simple answer---You bought it, so take it along. They are valueable to get behind for camo if all of a sudden you run into elk, as well as giving a bull something to see that is supposed to be the one making that cow call if one answers you and starts coming in. We always have a full size body along with a head decoy with us.

That Miss September is all A SS
Seriously they work well... only problem is wind hard to keep them upright in a strong wind, have to pile rock around her ankles.

CC

I've used mine a couple of times and have two sets of diametrically opposed results.

1 - During the rut in the Book Cliffs roadless area, we decided to see what we could call in one morning. We set up and immediately had a bull coming in. The direction he was coming from was at a right angle to the decoy, so I sneaked out and rotated it 90 degrees and then saw the bull (smallish 6 point) staring at me, so I just stayed there behind the decoy as my friend continued calling. As the bull got closer and was temporarily out of sight, I ran back away from the decoy. That bull came to about 7 yards.

2 - Last year, early in the Utah general any-bull archery season, well before the rut, I was in my tree stand and had placed the Montana cow decoy on the trail I was watching, to hopefully keep any reluctant bulls continuing down the path. Sure enough, a big 5 point was coming down the trail, but as soon as he got close enough to see the decoy, he looked at it for about 30 seconds and high-tailed it back up the mountain, never to be seen again.

So my experience is that if the rut is hot and heavy, the decoy is a great thing. Otherwise, leave it at camp.

Good luck!
DEADicated

Decoys near a waterhole are not a good idea. Not unusual to see a bull turn tail when he sees a decoy when coming in to water.

Cold calling setups, on the other hand, can be highly effective with a decoy in the early Season.

Running and gunning with a decoy, you can get away with hunting much more aggressively around elk herds.

Here's a video link that shows several solo tactics you can use when decoying:

Dynamic Decoying Part Two

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom