Elk Chilli

Bates7

Does anybody out there have a real good & simple elk chilli recipe that they'ed like to share?

1 1/2 pounds ground elk meat
2 large yellow onions, diced
2 (10 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles (optional)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar

DIRECTIONS
In a large deep skillet over medium heat, cook the ground elk with the onion until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
Pour the tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, kidney beans and green chilies into the skillet with the meat, and stir to blend. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, oregano and brown sugar. Cover, and simmer over low heat for at least one hour.

?We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.? Aldo Leopold

When I make either elk or deer chili I like to use cubed chunks of meat instead of ground meat. I just take the meat pieces and brown them in small batches in a pan with a little oil. This gives the meat a little extra flavor. You can then use the recipie for any ground meat chili. Try it once you may like it.

+1 shortgun!

Once you use cubes or chunks of roast, you'll never go back to ground!

S.

:)

PS: Bates7, any good beef chili recipe will work well with elk IMO!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-08 AT 03:04PM (MST)[p]In all my home made chilli I've found that to get the best flavor, I buy 3-5 different types of the large dried chili peppers. Boil 1-2 of each type for a minute and cut them open. Then scrape the pulp out with a spoon. Makes a world of difference.

I also like to use cubed meat. I do a dry marinade on the meat for a day before frying it. Get lots of spices in the meat for a better flavor.

I also use pinto and kidney beans as well as white or black beans sometimes. Can't really give you measurements on anything b/c I usually just throw all different stuff in there but it always includes minced garlic, chopped onion, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and sometimes paprika along with salt and pepper.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom