EL vs. SLC

mmwb

Very Active Member
I'm hoping to scrape up enough cash by spring to get my first good pair of binoculars. I'm thinking 10x42 and am leaning toward the Swaros. For the difference in price, is a mere mortal such as myself going to be able to appreciate the performance of the EL over the SLC? The specs are rather similar between the two models. I assume that the ELs have a superior coating. I also realize that they are going to be discontinued...

The EL are lighter and more ergonomic in my hands. If I were buying them I think I'd pay the difference for the EL.

The flip side to that is that you're not going to see anything through the EL's that the SLC's won't show you. The view through the EL may be slightly better, but unless you have them side by side, you'll be more than satisfied with the SLC's, which are also very tough.

I bought the 8.5 x 42 EL about 5 - 6 years ago never tried the SCL. After glassing hard with the EL's for this long I don't even think about binos anymore ,I really like these EL's.
They are a perfect size, handle great, you probably can't go wrong with either one but the EL's sure are nice!

Seriously consider the Leica Geovid BRF 10x42 for $1299 from Cameraland. I sold my SLC's for them, and love them.

Grizzly

If you want to make a "lifetime" purchase, you might look into the other "Alpha Brands" who have upgraded their lens and coating technology in recent years... Swarovski has not. The EL's are unchanged for almost a decade... Leica has upgraded twice in that time period. NJS

"Seriously consider the Leica Geovid BRF 10x42 for $1299 from Cameraland. I sold my SLC's for them, and love them"

Not saying you are right or wrong, just curious???? Why??

By the way, back to the original question... I have the SLC's and think they are great. I think you will be more than satisfied with either.

The new EL will be out very soon. The price is going to be astronomical (you can already pre-order for 1899 BP). I have read numerous reviews from birders who have used the new glass, and while they say there is a slight change in the optical picture; they question if the increase in price is justified. The El has only had minor changes in recent years compared to the others. The other two have just been trying to catch up. The EL is still optically just as good as anything on the market. I have tried all three of the major glass in the past month in the field. The EL stayed the others were returned. My only concern is how much better the new EL will be. Check out the review below.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2008roundup/binoculars_high-end.html

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-09 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]Appreciate the responses guys. I'm sure I'll need to go to Sportsman's or some such place and take a look through several models. I expect that will help in terms of ergonomics and user friendliness; but with my eyes that are used to low end glass only, I'm sure they'll all look dang good. Also, looking through glass for a few minutes at the store can't tell me the differences that one would notice after a few hours of the same.

Durability is key for me as well. I frankly am hard on equipment. I took a slip on a side hill the other morning and came up with one objective half filled with mud (I'm thinking those badlands binocular cases are looking good...). Makes me cringe to think that could have been $1000-2000 glass. The durability is what makes me hesitate to purchase some of the newer brands of hot glass. I'm sure optics are great, but we just don't know how they will stand up over time.

Put them side by side on tripods and see what you like best. Both have a quality I can't describe or pinpoint that makes them a pleasure for me to look through for long periods of time.

However, if you plan to beat them up pretty good you might consider second tier glass, especially for wearing around the neck. Hate to see you spend all that money and then trash them.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I just went through the same delima and decided to go with the SLC. I liked the feel of them better and opticaly I couldn't tell a differance. Plus they were about $400 cheaper.

>"Seriously consider the Leica Geovid BRF
>10x42 for $1299 from Cameraland.
>I sold my SLC's for
>them, and love them"
>
>Not saying you are right or
>wrong, just curious???? Why??
>
>By the way, back to the
>original question... I have the
>SLC's and think they are
>great. I think you
>will be more than satisfied
>with either.

woodruffhunter, as others have said and I bet you'd agree, when you are talking about the top 3 companies, you really can't go wrong. The major benefit to me was the built-on rangefinder. I do believe the glass is better in the SLC's than the Geovid's, but the difference is so small that the convenience of the rangefinder outweighs the shortfall.

You won't go wrong with either.

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom