Eel's Grandpa went rock fishing

eelgrass

Long Time Member
He got a limit of rock fish, but no keeper ling cod. He did however catch a 65# halibut. He said screw work!:)

5685rockfishalibut2013_002.jpg

835rockfishalibut2013_003.jpg

Nothing like FRESH Halibut in tambura batter and washed down with Ice Cold Beer.

Halibut Chowder is great too.....if I leave now Eel, I can be there for dinner tonight.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

WoW! That's a Dandy there Steve. I've caught a few in the SF Bay but not that good! Dandy, Congrats!!

How'd you catch that guy, live bait, bottom bouncing?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey, this was my first attempt at rock fishing so it's all new to me. I had on a lead head jig with a piece of salmon belly for bait. We were drifting along the bottom targeting ling cod, so a halibut was kind of a surprise. We also tried herring and some white rubber jigs. Everyone caught keeper ling cod except for me.

We used shrimp flies at a different location to catch our rock fish. It took about 45 minutes. Fast and furious.

It's about a 26 mile run one way down to Cape Mendocino.

Eel

Thanks Eel, it's all good but i think i'd take that slab over any ol ling. Congrats again!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Great fish Steve. Damn looks like Kilo is going to beat me to your house for a great fish dinner. Better hide your honey hole map while he is there.

RELH

Steve -

That's a beauty of a Halibut!! I have caught a lot of them but never one like that.. Congrats!!

Jim

"Our house is protected by the good lord and a gun, You'll meet both of them if you show up uninvited."

Jim, thank you! More importantly, it's great to hear from you! We've missed you around here.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom