Eel

Long Time Member
All summer long around here you can bank on people constantly getting themselves into trouble. Every time our helo gets called out, which is 3 to 10 times a week, you can predict with errie accuracy where it will be deployed. Most of the time, it ends up being someone I'll prepared and or lost. Sometimes they are not so fortunate. At any rate, it is mind boggling how many people in the outdoors get themselves into a desperate situation. I would like to see the dollar amount that it costs the state on these rescues.

Anyhow, it got me thinking to your neck of the woods. How many times are kayaker getting washed out to see and sending an sos. How many of those end up as shark bait?
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Shark Bait in KALI!

Coyote Bait in TARDville!

You See they Finally Found the Guy in the Uintah's that had been missing for a few years?

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

> Shark Bait in KALI!
>
>
>Coyote Bait in TARDville!
>
>You See they Finally Found the
>Guy in the Uintah's that
>had been missing for a
>few years?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U.
>in My Future,Ya She's got
>a
>way with Words[/font]
>
>

Now if someone e can find all that gold up there.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I was on a boat a couple of years ago out of Shelter Cove and we rescued a kayaker who was about two to three miles off the coast. Don't know why he was out that far but if my Buddy Rodney hadn't seen him bobbing in the water he would have been shark bait.
When we got to him he was just hanging on and when we tried to pull him on the boat and it took three of us because his dry suit was full of water all he was worried about was his kayak.
And to top it all off when we were bringing him in he told us this was the second time he had been rescued from the ocean.
We all had to strip down and give him our dry clothes to keep him from getting hypothermia. I called him a dumb a.... to his face as it caused us to come in early and cut my fishing day short and the money I had spent on the trip was lost due to him doing stupid stuff

Off the top of my head, I recall 4 kayak incidents this year, so far. One on the Eel River. The current sucked his kayak down at a bridge abutment. No life jacket, so he drowned. They say he was a nice guy.

One Coast Guard helicopter rescue of two girls who got stranded on the mud flats in the Bay after the tide went out.

Two Coast Guard helicopter rescues of kayakers on the ocean out of Trinidad. Both were "tourist" type kayakers who shouldn't even be allowed in a bath tub.

One Great White encounter but fortunately the shark must not have been hungry.

I'm sure there were more that never involved Coast Guard and didn't get reported.

It's hard to regulate ignorance/stupidity.

P.S. The Great White encounter happened at Shelter Cove. I wasn't there but a friend told me he's never seen a kayak paddle back to shore that fast, screaming on the radio the whole time.

Great stuff Eel I will call the boys today and ask them about that. Every year in Shelter Cove someone does something stupid.
Did you hear about the kid who drove out on the beach in his dad's new corvette and got it stuck in the mud and it tossed back and forth in the surf for two days before they got it out.
It didn't even have the plates on it yet, you just can't fix stupid

DeerHunter53, no I didn't hear about the Corvette. Do Corvette's still have a fiberglass body? Because the rest of the car will be a rust bucket. LOL!

Don't Buy New Used Corvettes from Shelter Cove!:D

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

Yes the car wasn't even worth spare parts as the engine and all the metal as salted out and ruined.
I heard there was a new truck 4 wheel drive that met the same fate this year. The boys told me it is about 2-4 cars or trucks a year that fall into the same fate.
Hard to believe that people don't respect the ocean anymore than they do.

Did you see the 80 pound white sea bass that Crazy John caught in the moorings right in the cove while fishing for California Halibut

No, I've kind of been out of the loop for a month or so as I've had a few pressing issues to deal with. I know the California Halibut has been good this year. All I can catch are undersized ones here in Humboldt Bay. I've heard of some Thresher Sharks caught inside at the Cove.

Launching a boat at the cove with your truck looks like a gamble.

Are you guys fishing from shore for butts or trolling? I've never done a lot of shore fishing for butts but I used to slay them out by Candlestick Park trolling Bango B's or Monster Shad lures with a shot of krill sauce.

Sorry Eel I have been out for a week or so hunting with my kid in Idaho we both got our bulls this year so it was good hunting
Yes it is a gamble to launch with your truck it is better to use the tractor and let them have the salt problems with their brakes and shocks
I don't know how many sets of shocks I have to go through to finally get the point.
Either way I talked to the boys down there and they are killing just about everything good year it appears. I have had no problem stocking the freezer this year

Congratulations on the successful elk hunt. That will fill the freezer.

Forthewall, the most dependable way to catch the California halibut here is with live anchovy or sardine, Carolina rig. We use a sabiki rig and catch our own.

That's the same rig Crazy John used to catch the Whit Sea Bass in the moorings area.

I am trying to get back up for one more trip but the wife is getting a little cranky for all of the hunting and fishing I have been doing lately.

By the way how are you catching the anchovies, I agree that is the best bait for halibut but no one up there catches them. You might be the only one I know doing it.

Enlighten me on the anchovy catching system????????

We catch our live bait using Sabiki rigs in the Bay or the ocean, either one. Just find bait fish around the docks or open water. We don't use special rods, just our little trout rods, or any rod handy. Most of the time you can locate anchovy's dimpling the surface, or birds diving, or on your fish finder. I found this video that shows how it works

I think all the Sabiki's work pretty well, but I've had the best luck with the one's with gold hooks. The anchoveys really grab them. Just a bare gold hook works too. Size 18-20 (really small)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom