Economy and hunting

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
This may have been discussed before, but I don't usually come to the campfire forum enough to know.

Do you all think the downturn in the economy will lower the hunt costs? Meaning, land prices, land lease prices, and the average hunter spending money on hunting, etc.? I would think it would lower the demand some which would in turn negatively affect the hunting industry (land owners, guides, state agencies). I think there will still be some that pay mega dollars for coveted tags etc., but in general, will slow some.

With worse times on the horizon, what do you all think?

This is just my two cents. I think there will be just as many people to SCI this year but I think bookings will be down 75%+. I think most of the auction hunts will be purchased for 25 cents on the dollar. I have talked with several of my Canadian outfitter friends and they are pretty much booked for 09 and 50% or so for 2010. I asked them this exact question about the economy and they all told me that they will "not" lower prices and will just take less people. Does not make much sense to me, the horses are in, the guides, equipment, etc. Why not take hunters at a discount and collect that much more money and they all said no they won't. I have been told that sheep hunting will not decrease because stone sheep tags are getting harder to get and the demand is still there. Most of those outfitters are quite arrogant and the thought of lowering their price is not something they will consider. If the economy continues to tank they will all have a breaking point it is just a matter of when and how much money they have put away in the past. I have been told one of the biggest factors is if their hunting concession is paid for or not. If paid they have no reason to budge, if they have a yearly payment then yes they might have to eventually budge on pricing. I know that I have put 100% of my plans on hold until I see how things shake out. I was ready to book a couple of hunts a couple of years down the road but don't dare pull the trigger. Just to many uncertainties right now and I know that I am not the lone ranger. If a person is in a position to book a hunt, next year might be the year for hunts out of Canada and the states. I think Africa PH's will do what it takes to get clients there. I have heard all the cheaper hunts such as bird hunts, fishing trips, antelope hunts are selling more because they are cheaper and more easily affordable. It is the 10k plus hunts that will suffer.

Absolutely. Land is already dropping like a stone. I was looking at a cabin lot last year and the guy wanted $89k. I held off when the market started tanking and he emailed me back asking $69.9k a few months ago. I got busy doing other things and kindof forgot about it and now the guy emailed me yesterday asking $55k.

Prices are crashing, people are running out of money... yes it will effect hunting. For those that "lived within their means", now and the near future look AWSOME. People with money are making some great deals on whatever they want... property, leases, trailers... toys. I bought my wife a snowmobile this weekend from a guy in desperate need for cash, offered him 1/3'd off fair market value, and it took it!

I'll give it couple of months, about when those first payments for christmas credit purchases come due and offer the guy $40k for the cabin lot :)

-DallanC

Depends on how long before the economy starts to rebound.

Sometimes lower prices and increased sales can mean more money, but not always. Successful outfitters are good businessmen. They know their bottom line. Thier costs have not gone down. In fact they are dealing with the same thing as all of us. Costs are up: grain, hay, groceries, other supplies... So if they charge less to get the same number of clients, they may not be able to remain solvent. You make a profit or you don't. There really isn't an in between.

The high end hunts will remain unaffected. Hunts for the rest of us mere mortals may see a decline.

Years ago, i made $12.hr and hunts out of state were a piece of cake to afford and go on. Now, i do "considerably better" and am having a hard time covering all the bases.

I don't think it's going to get easier, i don't think the hunting is going to get better. Could be soon where only the wealthy or well off will be able to afford to hunt an area where a taken trophy animal could possibly be expected. I don't want to be around when that's the way it is!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom