Easy to be a cop?

I'm waiting for the comments of, did he have to shoot him, or why did he shoot him five times, or the most famous one of all, why did't the officer only shoot to wound him.

RELH

ok....here it goes RELH....wtf was the point????wtf was the hurry???.........let him carve himself up. In the house alone with a knife???....wtf was he gonna hurt???

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-14 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]I'm not RELH and I wasn't a cop (SP in the Navy). But, I will tell you this. If someone is that close to me with a knife or two in his hand(s), and he advances as this guy did, I'm not going to wait and see if he either gives up or sorta, kinda wounds me just a little bit with those knives. And there is no way to tell if he is the only one in the house, despite what his friend says.

...he shoulda shot the woman too then...she mighta had a gun...I didn't see him search her...

Jef it is documented that a person with a knife standing 7 yards, 21 feet, can cover that distance to you in in less then 5/10s of a second. By the time you react to sudden charge, he is on top of you and you will more then likely take a stab wound before any bullet you may fire drops him.
That guy in the house with the knife was a lot closer then 7 yards and walking towards the officer. It was suicide by cop, only problem with those types is if you fail to stop them they will attack to force the issue.

RELH

>he could have tasered him?
>
>Eel

Would you bring a taser to a knife fight?

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-14 AT 09:17AM (MST)[p]>>he could have tasered him?
>>
>>Eel
>
>Would you bring a taser to
>a knife fight?
>
>
>
>
>HOOK 'EM!
>_______________________________________
>
>Since I am frequently asked about
>my religion on this site
>and others, I have created
>a profile that explains my
>beliefs. If you are interested
>in finding out more about
>my faith, please visit the
>link below:
>
>http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

If I was a cop in someone else's home, with a side arm and a way to retreat, yes.

Well at least he's not a danger to himself any longer. Whew!

Eel

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-14
>AT 09:17?AM (MST)

>
>>>he could have tasered him?
>>>
>>>Eel
>>
>>Would you bring a taser to
>>a knife fight?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>HOOK 'EM!
>>_______________________________________
>>
>>Since I am frequently asked about
>>my religion on this site
>>and others, I have created
>>a profile that explains my
>>beliefs. If you are interested
>>in finding out more about
>>my faith, please visit the
>>link below:
>>
>>http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/
>
>If I was a cop in
>someone else's home, with a
>side arm and a way
>to retreat, yes.
>
>Well at least he's not a
>danger to himself any longer.
>Whew!
>
>Eel

Retreat where? Next to someone else he could harm?

Who would be responsible IF the cop retreated, then the guy used his knife on someone else?

>still a freakin PIG

Lmmfao......

"Retreat where? Next to someone else he could harm?"

Out the door he came in through? Tell the lady to get away.

"Who would be responsible IF the cop retreated, then the guy used his knife on someone else?"

The guy. And you can still kill him before that happens.

I have no problem killing the guy, I just thought it was a little early in the confrontation. The investigation does not agree with me, so maybe I'm wrong. That would be a first.:)

Eel

>>still a freakin PIG
>
>Lmmfao......
>
>
>
>
>When you go swimming in the
>ocean, it is very cold,
>and it makes my willy
>

Were you there? Did you see this incident take place with your own eyes or are Monday night quarterbacking something from a POV body cam?

Just because you would run away from this type of situation doesn't mean that a police officer can.

Suicide by cop is becoming more prevalent as time goes on. It is a very real situation that these people force the police into. Instead of applying your 0 experience to this event why don't you burn your energy on understanding what the police officer now has to go through and the reality of suicide in your community.

>>>still a freakin PIG
>>
>>Lmmfao......
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>When you go swimming in the bu
>>ocean, it is very cold,
>>and it makes my willy
>>
>
>Were you there? Did you see
>this incident take place with
>your own eyes or are
>Monday night quarterbacking something from
>a POV body cam?

Like a every trade you got good and bad cops. I have delt with some cops that have done a good job and others seem to be worthless...

For all I know its a fake video... I wasnt there so I don't believe it.. but like in every trade you got good cops and bad cops.. got good plumbers and and bad plumbers. . I have delt with cops that do a good
>
>Just because you would run away
>from this type of situation
>doesn't mean that a police
>officer can.
>
>
>Suicide by cop is becoming more
>prevalent as time goes on.
>It is a very real
>situation that these people force
>the police into. Instead of
>applying your 0 experience to
>this event why don't you
>burn your energy on understanding
>what the police officer now
>has to go through and
>the reality of suicide in
>your community.

Amazing to me how many people think a Tazer is a magic wand. Worst tool for LE ever invented, IMO. In the case of this guy, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Please explain why the taser is the worst tool ever invented.

There were a couple different options this cop could have done differently.I have respect for what cops do and the perils they face daily, but this cop showed piss poor judgement...period. The perp may have needed a good dose of lead poisoning, but the cop may have been able to find a way to avoid payed leave for awhile.

"Out the door he came in through? Tell the lady to get away."

Read some on domestic violence cases.

"The guy. And you can still kill him before that happens. "

You can't guarantee that...and, if he hurt someone else, well, cool, lets blame the guy with the knife and, oh, well, someone else got hurt.

No worries; we just disagree. You are still my favorite old guy.

>Jef it is documented that a
>person with a knife standing
>7 yards, 21 feet, can
>cover that distance to you
>in in less then 5/10s
>of a second. By the
>time you react to sudden
>charge, he is on top
>of you and you will
>more then likely take a
>stab wound before any bullet
>you may fire drops him.
>
> That guy in
>the house with the knife
>was a lot closer then
>7 yards and walking towards
>the officer. It was suicide
>by cop, only problem with
>those types is if you
>fail to stop them they
>will attack to force the
>issue.
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH
>

RELH is speaking of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

The guy was a whole lot closer than 21 feet.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-14 AT 06:48PM (MST)[p]>Please explain why the taser is
>the worst tool ever invented.
>
>
>There were a couple different options
>this cop could have done
>differently.I have respect for what
>cops do and the perils
>they face daily, but this
>cop showed piss poor judgement...period.
> The perp may have
>needed a good dose of
>lead poisoning, but the cop
>may have been able to
>find a way to avoid
>payed leave for awhile.

Because the cheerleaders watching from the sidelines have the preconceived notion that they work 100% of the time on 100% of the population....magic wand, which couldn't be further from the truth.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-14 AT 08:47PM (MST)[p]Let get a few things straight for some monday night armchair quarterbacks. Most departments and the courts back it up that an officer does not have to retreat when faced with a deadly situation.
Lets say the officer instead of firing backs out the door he came in with the suspect following him. As the suspect gained the area of the porch, he suddenly steps behind the woman seated there, as the cop directed her to do, and now you have a hostage sitution. The suspects end up cutting her throat and all you quarterbacks will be yelling the cop screwed up causing her to loose her life. Then you will demand the cops head for following your instructions on what should have been done. Just great!!! The truth of the matter is that most of you quarterbacks would end up fired or dead as a cop.
As for the taser, some departments will not issue it to their officers and it also is lke pepper spray, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. PCP users are hard to take down with a taser, so are some mentally ill persons.

RELH

The standard has actually been modified to 30 feet being the distance that a suspect with a knife can cover that distance before the threat is assessed.

A taser in that situation would have been impractical. For starters most agencies train to meet force with force plus one. A knife can kill a person pretty fast and a knife in the hands of some one that knows how to use it is as deadly as any handgun in a close proximity altercation. Way to many times I have seen tasers fail for various reasons. I'm personally not a big fan of tasers even though I'm required to carry one. I will say that tasers do have a place but under no circumstance should a solo Officer relay on a taser when the situation calls for deadly force.

Sad situation for all involved, for the Officer who will be scrutinized for his actions and more importantly his mental health of how he copes with such a traumatic event. For the suspect and his family who will be trying to make sense of why he would advance on the Officer.

It's pretty easy to be the arm chair quarterback and I will admit that I have been guilty of it myself, but just remember it's hard to judge a person until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

CAforkedhorn, aiming for the ball sacks is off limits. In fact most, if not all departments will not allow baton blows to that area. My favorite baton strike was standing in front of the adam henry that was jacking his jaws while working up the courage to swing at me.
I would have my monodock baton in my right hand parallel to my leg. When the suspect balls up his fist and starts his swing, my baton would come up in a very rapid fashion between his legs and down he would go. Of course I did not aim for his ball sacks, I was attempting a strike on his inner thigh muscle and he moved on me.

RELH

Yeah, there is something wrong with him for that statement over the death of young children. Makes me wonder what in his past has made him hate cops so much. Ran into that type everyday on the job and most of them were not good citizens themselfs.

RELH

Let me guess Jodog, you have a criminal record. Always easy to tell. if you get any satisfaction from a murder suicide I feel sorry for you.

Rich

No criminal record here. Feel bad for the wife and kids...tragic !! What goes around comes around.

I've been in close combat situations in the middle east and once at a Montana rest stop. The very last thing you want to do is take your eyes off this guy. I'm not taking the chance of backing up and stumbling or faltering over anything. It would give him a chance to rush you and bumping into something would most certainly effect your sense of control over the situation. If you haven't been there you can't imagine what it's like when your mind goes into a tachia psychic response. The cop did the right thing.

For long distance dial 1-800-338-EDGE

I've been in close combat situations in the middle east and once at a Montana rest stop. The very last thing you want to do is take your eyes off this guy. I'm not taking the chance of backing up and stumbling or faltering over anything. It would give him a chance to rush you and bumping into something would most certainly effect your sense of control over the situation. If you haven't been there you can't imagine what it's like when your mind goes into a tachia psychic response. The cop did the right thing.

Longbow6360, you are wasting your time with jodog. He is the typical "don't like cops" armchair quarterback that would crap his pants in a deadly close encounter or freeze and get himself killed. Nothing you will say will change his mind about the shooting being murder. He is not worth the time you would waste.

RELH

BloDog had a cop tell him to keep his wagon on the sidewalk a long time ago and he's hated them since.

lol !!! You don't earn a CAR w/star freezein up in a deadly situation. lol.... Carry on Barney.... lol

I'm assuming by CAR you are referring to Combat Action Ribbon given to Navy and Coast Guard for combat situations. Funny thing is you don't hear about a lot of Navy close quarter engagements unless your a SEAL.

Its apparent you have a issue based on the comment of "Murder" from one of your earlier posts. So I would like to hear what a Combat Action Ribbon recipient would do in the situation caught on the body camera. Not the other tragic incident that you refer to as what comes around goes around. Which by the way I still don't understand what you mean by that, and its likely I never will.

So please Jodog share your knowledge with us, so we all may learn. How would you handle a guy coming towards you with a knife after you have backed away and given numerous commands to drop the knife.

Jodog, what are you? Some wannabe. You said "CAR" if you are referring to a "CIB" combat infantry badge, given for action in a combat zone, you need to refresh your nomenclature for military terms. Next you will be telling us that you earned a "CMH" while serving with the Delta Team.

RELH

Probably should have waited another minute for a second officer, but the shooting was clean.

Contrary to popular belief the popo is under no legal obligation whatsoever to protect you, your family, or your property.

Next
>you will be telling us
>that you earned a "CMH"
>while serving with the Delta
>Team.

Does CMPH count? If so, he has the gold star version!

Gunnie is right about that no officer is required or obligated to protect any individual in this country according to a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
Other words that officer could have made the decision to not endanger himself and stood outside twidding his thumbs waiting for the SWAT team, and during that time if the suspect had killed 2-3 persons inide. The family members of those killed would not be able to win a lawsuit against the officer or his department for the officer failing to protect anyone inside that house.

I can see some officers making that decision now that anything they do is going to be questioned by so called arm chair experts and the best route would be to fall back on a court decision and be protected. Is that the type of law enforcement you want if it is your family member in danger?

RELH

RELH,

There are many different types of people in this world. There are those like you who run from danger and hide behind excuses for doing so and that is ok. You are not expected to act in a situation like this.

The other kind of person runs toward the danger because that is the kind of person he is.

As a police officer one swears an oath to uphold the law and protect the innocent. This is known as the Oath of Office.

Remember that the officer was not here dealing ruth a suicidal subject but rather a suspect in a hit and run accident wherein an innocent person was victimized by the suspect. Now wether or not there is a legal obligation by the police to put themselves in harm's way, a moral obligation overcomes their personal safety and they run towards danger.

At no point in the video did I see a suicidal subject. I only saw a man with knives approach an officer after being commanded not to.

Just because you would run, and there is no shame in that, doesn't mean he would or should.

>RELH,
>
>There are many different types of
>people in this world. There
>are those like you who
>run from danger and hide
>behind excuses for doing so
>and that is ok. You
>are not expected to act
>in a situation like this.
>

Huh? I had all the players (cops) figured out until this post.

Carry on.

Zeke

Travishunter; I think you need a refresher course in reading comprehension. My point was that there are people that will critizize that form of action by cops and as a result they end up getting cops who will put their moral obligation aside and go with the safe route that the Supreme Courts says they can do.
As for me I would have entered the house after the suspect, done it many times as a solo officer, and I would have shot him as that officer did long before he could get in reach of that woman on the porch or me.

RELH

Sounds like you have a good open mind & common sense, unlike some of the persons on this forum.

RELH

The oath of office don't say sh*t about defending anything but the US constitution and probably varies from state to state. Obviously they have a moral obligation to defend or protect but cannot be held liable if they don't for ANY reason.

People talk all kinds of smack about about volunteering for the firing squad or I would shoot a person for this reason or that reason when the truth is you don't really know. Hopefully you won't ever be put in a position when you realize it might actually happen. And if it does pray it happens fast so you don't have time to think about it otherwise you may discover you don't have what it takes. And by no means does it make a person any less of a man to wait, walk away, quit, or whatever. It just makes them different. Nothing wrong with saying I can't or won't do that job. Not everyone was put on this earth to do the same thing.

Look up the POS in Colorado who drove to the police department and shot his little girls. All this after the mom called the popo several times throughout the day stating he was a danger. The popo didn't take her serious. She sued and lost. And this case law came down from a bunch of liberal pot smokin left wing hippies in Denver. It ya want the exact details Google it.

The case that resulted in the U.S. Supreme court decision involved a police Dept. located in the mid-west or eastern state. Female calls 911 and states her roommate is being raped in a bedroom next to her bedroom. Female is whispering and tells dispatcher she is hiding in her bedroom closet to prevent the rapist from dicovering she is there.

Two officers respond and knock on door. No answer and door is locked. They tried to peer though windows and did not or can not see anything that was suspicious and did not hear any unusual noises. Officers leave. Female calls back and states the suspect is still on scene and rape is still in progress. My memory does not recall what happen after that except that the officers finally make contact with the victim later after the suspect fled the scene.

The victim sued the officers and police dept for failing to provide her with protection by not forcing entry after the first call. Case goes all the way up to the U.S. Supreme Court and the decision by that court was that law enforcement is not required to provide protection for any INDIVIDUAL,only to the general population at large by enforcing the laws.

Now here is the other side of the coin. As a patrol Sgt. I was dispatched to a residence in my patrol beat due to a 911 hangup call that came from that residence. Our department has the ability to trace back any 911 hangup call that came in.
Upon arrival, knock on door and no answer. check the windows and everything appears ok in living room and kitchen. Can not see into bedrooms due to closed drapes. Contact neighbor, residence was located in a mobile home park with a lot of retired persons living there. Neighbor advises that a male in his late 60's lives along in the residence and they last saw him that morning, it is evening time now.
I have my dispatcher contact telephone company and they trace the line and advise they do not think the 911 hangup call is the result of malfunction of their equitment and the line appears dead as if the phone was dropped after the call was made and the person calling may have collasped after making the call. Otherwords a possible medical emergency.

I kicked the front door open and checked the residence. No one in there and the two phones are sitting in their cradle as they are supposed to be. I leave a note for the homeowner explaining what happen and who he could contact for payment to repair his front door and my business card. I secured the front door as best as I could and ask the neighbor to keep a eye on the place until the home owner returned.

He returned about a hour later and called my office wanting to speak to me. I contacted him at his home and he was very irate. I tried to explain my reason for the forced entry was due to believing he may be laying injured and passed out on the floor based on the information I had received. His response was to state, "if I had been in my home when you kicked my front door, i would have blown your ass away". Saw no reason to argue with a boneheaded idiot and left. Told my deputies if they ever responded to that residence in the future on a 911 hangup, do not kick the door due to his threats of violence and if he is laying in there injured, too bad for him.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom