Eastmans terrain grading?

gznokes

Very Active Member
Like many of you I like to poke through the various publications unit ratings.

Does anyone know what Eastmans means when they grade the terrain in an antelope unit as "A" or "B" or "C"? What does "A" vs "B" antelope terrain look like?

To further confuse this, all antelope units are described as "Moderate" in terms of the what I assume is the physicality of the hunt. This makes sense to me. However as I said earlier I don't understand how they assign a different letter grade? Does it have to do w habitat?

These are examples of the terrain ratings of different units
A=59, 60
B=94, 100
C=43, 56

I thought they had the explanation in thee too?

For terrain, "A" is easy terrain (ie flat) "F" is steep/rugid terrain. I like to backpack and get away so I look for "D" and "F" terrain.

The few places I have hunted when compared to Eastmans rating, are correct (Eastmans gave them the right "letter").

Yes moderate is terrain rating (kind of not needed - restating the letter ratings).

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-12 AT 02:17PM (MST)[p]I've never even looked over to that section in their ratings before. After reading the OP I looked in the current magazine and I see one column rating every unit as Moderate and then looked over to the rigth in those small columns and see the same word and with each unit graded as an A, B, or C, so I have no idea what they are referring to and don't really care. It would seem like they would have a listing as to what they mean, but I don't recall ever seeing anything and I've been getting both the magazines for quite some time.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-12 AT 07:55PM (MST)[p]I think they have so many members that they have to be more fair to all vs. actual every unit specific.

They have marathon runners to sit at a desk all day type members.

They try to do the best for all.

Robb

Its pretty much a 5 point scale with A (1) being the most hunter friendly and F (5) being the least. That goes for all of the criteria.

Thanks chip! That's sort of what I thought when I looked at a few of the units I'm real familiar with and then looked at the letter Eastmans gave them.

Thanks for chiming in Don. I'm kind of like you. The D and F terrain ratings seem to make sense bue I don't understand the distinction between the A-C. I'm obviously overthinking this and of course it isn't a big deal.

I guess on another level it is kind of funny. What really is "A" terrain anyway? Is it like flat as a pancake with no sagebrush to trip on? and 100% road hunting?! LOL! vs "C" terrain that is rolling hills with some steep bluffs?

Anyway, it was just a quick question I had so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I've thought the same. If "A" Terrain is flat, wouldn't "b" or "c" be better just because it would be more stockable. Or do they rate it this way?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom