East Northside or West Murders

brdhuntr

I'm an Idaho N.R. and looking to burn my points and get out of the points game. Looking for some help on witch of these units would be the best for access, harvest opportunity, and terrain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

East Northside is any easy hunt, but you won't find monster bulls there. Lots of elk. Lots of bulls. Just not a lot of 300+ bulls... Not sure about the size of murderers creek elk but I know the terrain is pretty tough... just my opinion.

Are you looking for deer or elk? East northside has easier terrain and quite a few elk and some decent bulls and a few really good bulls, it has some good bucks as well. West murderers has a ton of deer, some really big bucks if you can get to them and a good number of elk. There have been some good bulls taken out of there, but it's harder access. For elk I'd say East Northside, for deer go with W. Murderers Creek.

>Are you looking for deer or
>elk? East northside has easier
>terrain and quite a few
>elk and some decent bulls
>and a few really good
>bulls, it has some good
>bucks as well. West murderers
>has a ton of deer,
>some really big bucks if
>you can get to them
>and a good number of
>elk. There have been some
>good bulls taken out of
>there, but it's harder access.
>For elk I'd say East
>Northside, for deer go with
>W. Murderers Creek.

I'm sorry but i gotta laugh at your deer comment on the murds crk. area, hunted elk in there last season, two separate trips and seen 5 deer total...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-11 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]muleyman knows it better then I...but I did hunt it 5 years ago and last season, never seen alot of elk but 2 good bulls each trip...took 5 points to draw..

5 years ago deer everywhere, last season 5...

Thanks Manny! I told you WHEN you decide to get off that four wheeler, you may have a better chance at seein something!! LOL ;)

361" bull taken in there is past year, public.

muleyman

well I didn't bring it this last time and missed a 350" if not better @ 200 yrds, as I've said before I can still hunt I just can't shoot worth a damb no more, fogged glass's in a snow storm didn't help much niether...

Thanks for all the info guys, looks like i'll apply for the Northside hunt, i'm a meat hunter and not really looking for a big rack. Hope fully i can bag a cow and have a successful hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-11 AT 12:22PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-11 AT 12:20?PM (MST)

Manny53,
Funny, I'm laughing too! I saw 600 deer from the highway in a 40 mile stretch one day in West Murderers Unit. Where are you from, Portland? I lived in Grant County for 15 years and there is no doubt in my mind that I'd hunt deer in West Murderers creek over Northside any day. But I suppose it's irrelevant since he's talking about elk.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-11
>AT 12:22?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-11
>AT 12:20?PM (MST)

>
>Manny53,
>Funny, I'm laughing too! I saw
>600 deer from the highway
>in a 40 mile stretch
>one day in West Murderers
>Unit. Where are you from,
>Portland? I lived in Grant
>County for 15 years and
>there is no doubt in
>my mind that I'd hunt
>deer in West Murderers creek
>over Northside any day. But
>I suppose it's irrelevant since
>he's talking about elk.

what time of year? was it December during a migration, i geuss your right it don't matter cause I was hunting elk, I live in medford, with your insinuation of me being a city dude...LOL...

I've seen them along the highway all year long. (the trip I was referring to was in March) I've seen the bucks in the higher country and foothills during Sept. and Oct. If you don't know the country, it may take some scouting to find them (it looks like a small unit but there is alot of country in there)there are alot of deer in there all throughout the year.
I haven't seen as many elk in West Murderers but I know they are in there as well. A rancher I know found a very good deadhead last year that had been shot probabaly during bow season. Northside is just a better unit for elk IMO. We've killed alot of elk in there over the years and I have seen some good bulls and found some good sheds in that unit. It can be feast or famine though, they can move widely from year to year.

Best of luck with the hunt that you choose!

I agree. Northside is just an all around better hunt. My Uncle killed at 300 class bull in there a few years back. It was 4 months after he had open-heart surgery. The terrain is much more manageable for your average hunter. I don't doubt that MCreek has good Elk, but getting into them might be a different story. I shed hunted in there a few times and it was rough. I'm probably too old to keep up with you young guys anymore ! :)

I've decided to put in for East Northside, i would like to talk to anyone that wishes to pm me their phone number. I will be going over to scout it this summer. Thanks so much..

Back
Top Bottom