Earthquake!

eelgrass

Long Time Member
We just went through a pretty bad one! My guess is about a 6.6-6.8? Lasted a looooong time!

No apparent damage that that we can tell. Some water splashed out the toilets.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-14 AT 00:02AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-14 AT 11:48?PM (MST)

Jeeze steve, Really? Head for high ground! Anything up by 6 is huge...

Steve, Take a good poke around that none of the gas lines on your property broke or are leaking. You probably could smell it.

Edit: they are saying 6.9

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Maps/125-41.html

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

We've had 6 quakes since midnight and 28 in the last week. It's time for Eel to share the where abouts of the famous honey hole before it's too late.

2311idiot.jpg

Bears, lions, leopards and mad mamma moose.. been around 'em all but a damn earthquake really scares the hell out of me. I guess I just don't like the thoughts of stuff falling on my head!
Here's hoping for your safety Mr Eel!
Good luck,
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-14 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]Eel, with a 6.9, sounds like you guys were lucky to still have a home let alone for things to be in good shape. Looks like there have been lots of aftershocks. I don't like them because every time one starts shaking, you just don't know how big it's going to turn out to be.

Atta boy, glad to hear things are OK!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

6.9 is a good shaker.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-14 AT 12:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-14 AT 12:35?PM (MST)

Looks like it could have been really bad! Glad to hear you are OK Eel.

Nice way of covering for yourself instead of telling the misses that your aim was off - "Oh that wasn't me honey, the earthquake pitched some water out of the bowl!"

Good one Eel!! I might have to remember that one!

http://news.yahoo.com/powerful-6-9-quake-strikes-off-california-coast-065939539.html

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

They're singing a different tune now. They said thousands and thousands of potted marijuana plants were dumped over during the shake. This could have a huge negative impact on the local economy.:)

Eel

Why is it that all the BS Starts in KALI?

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Eel, I'm glad you came though it ok. You need to move that epic center towards San Francisco. On second thought, that would not be good. If that city got another 6.9 quake, our taxes would go up again to pay for their repairs. But they do not pay for our increased state fire protection fees that was levied on us in rural areas.
RELH

pussey....

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

Yeal! you are right Zigger. They need to drop that city by the bay into the pacific ocean and cure a lot of our problems. Hey did you sign the petition for the state of Jefferson? My hunting partner and I did at the gun show this last Saturday. Oops I forgot, I believe Kern county is staying with CA. Don't worry we will give you farmers a break on our water. We will make L.A. and San Francisco pay higher to make up the difference.

RELH

I was working in the Bay Area when the the 89 earth quake hit, not fun....would never live down there again....

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-14 AT 11:17PM (MST)[p]Glad to hear your still with us eel. Nothing like a good jolt to the old system to make the normal stuff look great again, yes?

I live on a fault in outback Utah, had a shaker about 30 years ago that started out fairly unison, rock'in and roll'in, everything just swaying back and forth together, but after a while the unison broke down and things started slapping together. About that time I'm starting to think, this ain't fun no more, if this keeps up the lid is going to come off the pressure cooker. About that time she settled back down. Took me three days before I could do any good on the water closet. Don't ever want any more like that one. That sucker sounded like a D9 Cat coming up my driveway too, I had know idea that earth quakes roar when they move earth, but that one sure as hell did.

DC

rutnbuck, no point in getting nervous I guess. It's kind of like being unarmed in an enclosed dead end ally. You look up and see a herd of Cape Buffalo stampeding towards you. If they keep coming you're dead so all you can do is pray they show some mercy and stop. Some day my luck will run out I guess.

Eel

Steve, Now that a few days have past to "settle the dust", what are you hearing of damage from the quake in the area?

Back when i was in College, there was a medium sized quake, probably about a 4 or 5, that was centered a quarter mile below my Grandparent's Ranch House. It moved my Grandmother's half propane half wood stove into the center of the kitchen and flat knocked over her big ol Propane refrigerator. Scared her almost to death to go thru that!

Joey

Joey, no reports of any damage on the local news. I haven't been out much since the quake, except to check Mom's house. Nothing there either.

I can't explain it, other than the way the ground moved. Maybe it just wasn't sharp enough. The seismologist at Humboldt State said we got "lucky"

Since we've lived in this house we've lost two televisions and lots of assorted glass ware. The most damage was from 3 quakes in two days back in 1992. Lots of people lost their houses in those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Cape_Mendocino_earthquakes

Since then I've strapped down the water heater and added earthquake proof latches to all the upper kitchen cabinets (to keep the doors from opening.) I also put extra bracing under the house.

The more I think about it, it would be a good idea to get out now that I'm retired.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom