Early season goat hair

nocwalker

Hey Guys!! I always wondered what a taxidermist might do with an early season goat cape that is shedding for the winter coat and all clumped up? I know I/ve heard guys say go alittle later in the season so the goats have better hair. What happens if you draw an early tag and the coats are still short or clumped? Can these be fixed or cut?

Just always wondered, Thanks in advance.

nocwalker

I've seen them short-haired during the early hunts but I've not seen them clumped or shedding. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've not seen it.
The later you can hunt the better.... to a point (weather, access)

Some of the billies will have some pretty good capes by as early as mid September... but some will still be short also. Usually by Oct 1st they are all pretty good, based solely on my observations in UT.

If taximan doesn't come and post an answer to your question then you might want to PM him. He mounted a bald faced bear for my daughter and it was not bald when we picked it up from him. I know he went broke on the job but he does some great stuff. He's much more qualified to answer your question directly.

I hope my wife has a tag for Mtn goat this year!

Good luck, Zeke

Early season goats won't...or shouldn't be shedding! I have mounted several goats from early September that are short haired, but still very nice...no doubt, the later in the season, the longer the hair is going to be...concerning the clumps, I use a comb and steam!...then a Master Blaster to fluff the hair up after I have Bleached the hide...caution! the more you comb, the more the hair will loosen up!..at least that has worked for me over the years...

Personally, I'm hesident to shoot a goat before mid September...and October or Novermber is preferred...depends on the season dates and the unit!

here is my early season goat from sep. 1 2011. i thought the short hair looked good. cant wait to get my mount done.

604.jpg

599.jpg

It would have to be a very early hunting season to have them still shedding winter coatt clumps of hair.

I am usually up filming them in late June/early July and most are slick clean with summer hide.

Robb

Thanks for responding guys.
The reason I asked was I'm hopeing to someday draw a tag, I'm from the east coast and will need to do these hunts DIY. I don't know if I could do a later hunt(with poss. weather problems) so, an early hunt sounds like it may be alittle easier to pull off. I noticed that Idaho's season starts in late Aug. and was wondering about they're coats do to the fact that on my first trip out west we stopped up on Mt Evans (Co.) and I have pix of goats that have clumped hair. That was in the last few days of Aug. so, I figured they are like that everywhere--every year, at that time of the season???? It wouldn't stop me from taking one if I were to get the chance, I just wanted the info on it if it could be fixed or not. Thanks Hey Robb-- Bill V. here

Thanks, nocwalker

Hey Bill---I hear ya on those Mnt. Evans goats!
Just shy of 14,000 ft up there at the parking lot on top!

I got my Colo Mnt. Goat just to the west of Mnt. Evans off Grizzly Pk.

Welcome to M&M.

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-12 AT 03:49PM (MST)[p]nfh,
Great goat, nothing wrong with a shorthair that looks like that!

NFH, Great Goat and pix. Just to clarify, the only goats I have ever seen were on mount Evans and they were "clumped up". I just figured that all goats are like that at that time of year,lol. I'm glad you guys straightened me out on this! I'll try to post a pix of what I saw.

Good luck to all in the draws,If I don't draw , I hope you guys do!!!

nocwalker

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom