Early season Bear

E

EDGE_1

After 8 years of bonus points, and several years of helping friends with their hunts... It was my turn.
I only had one expectation for this hunt. I wanted to take a bear while my wife was in the treestand with me.
We took this bear a couple nights ago, and yes Kelli was sitting next to me in the tree. Only her second time being in a treestand (Sunday night was her first) we took this bear.
We had a short but great hunt. Had several (6) different bears hitting the bait. The night we took this bear we had 2 others around us for over 2 hours. When your wife has never seen a bear in the wild it makes for an exciting night!
I don't know a lot about bears, but he squared just over 6' and I'm guessing will make the minimum for P&Y.

Kevin

1338101_0897.jpg

9616101_0906.jpg

4055101_0923.jpg

NICE!! Bear with a recurve - badass! Beautiful bear too.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

That is Awesome!! To take that bear with your recurve AND with your wife makes it that much better!

Good Job.

What unit did you hunt (you can send me a PM if you prefer)? I also have 8 Utah bear points after this years drawing and hope to cash in on a tag next spring and do it with my bow. Any pointers?

LAST EDITED ON May-07-10 AT 01:29PM (MST)[p]Im curious to hear what your wife's reaction was. Does she hunt too or did you drag her out there? My wife is not even close to being interested in going hunting with me but if she was in your wife's shoes, things might be different. That is very cool you were able to share that experience with her!

Terry, shortest tracking job I've every had. Maybe 40 yards.

My wife is slowly getting into hunting. She didn't come from a hunting family at all. So far she has killed a phesant. I'm still trying to get her to finish hunters ed.
She wanted to be included from the start, but was not ready to see bears that close. The first bear that came in walked up a trail on her side of the tree. I couldn't see, and didn't know it was there. I turned around to check on her and she was shaking hard. Almost like she was freezing. I knew she was watching something, and when I poked her on the leg to get her attention... well if not for the harness she would have fell out of the tree. I don't know if it was fear or excitement. Probably a little of both. For the next 2 hours we had 3 bears within 50 yards, yet when this bear committed to the bait and came into view at 15 yards she started shaking again. After the shot, and knowing there were other bears in the area she did not want to get out of the tree.
Let just say she didn't get far from me on the way back to the truck.
Incredible Experience for both of us!!

Nice looking bear Kevin!!!! Someday I will draw on of those tags. I too had 8 points this year so your tag gives me hope!! I see you even got that good looking wife of yours on the hunt. Even more congrats. We'll see you guys in the morning.

It's always an adventure!!!

Thanks Jim!
Get yours drawn, and give me a reason to get out next spring too!!

Anyone else had any bear success this spring?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom