Dworshak Idaho

I

IDAbowhunter

Hey guys Im a student at the University of Idaho and im trying to figure out what area I am going to hunt next year. I plan on bowhunting for elk. I am looking into unit 10A the Dworshak zone, but i am very unfamiliar with this type of terrain. I have been looking around and it is very thick, flat (compared to what im used to hunting), and there are a lot of roads. I absolutely am not asking for your hunting areas, i just want a general overview of the unit. (I know wolves have had a big impact). I would like to know what strategies you guys who have been successful use. Do you call and try to get something to answer, still hunt, glass? The fish and game harvest numbers look pretty good but im used to hunting waaaayyy back away from roads in high alpine basins. I dont really know how to hunt this type of stuff. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

There is good hunting up there and yes you do alot of calling and there is places where you can get away from roads, locate elk in clear cuts and go from there the worst thing is usual the heat, hopefully this helps you out.

jw

I hunted unit 10 (Lolo, just next door) in 2007 and I can't imagine that 10A is anything close to flat! Good lord, 10 was the steepest country I've even been in in my life!

Strategies - get high, away from roads and hit the calls. It's somewhat tough to glass in that country because it's so thick but, there are certainly areas you can look into meadows, etc. and find elk.

We had a lot of luck finding bulls early in the morning. The only elk we got into in the afternoon was one we jumped on an old trial while walking back to camp. I think the morning activity was there because it was still fairly warm when we hunted so the bulls just hunkered down the afternoons. A good cold snap around mid-Sept. should help a great deal!

Get your hiking legs in gear and get after 'em...it's awesome country and there are still elk there despite the wolves!

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom