Dutch Oven

G

Grizzly76

Looking to purchase a new cast iron dutch oven. any suggestion on which ones i should be looking at? Ive been reading that Lodge makes one of the best and at a resonable price.

Lodge is a popular brand in the outdoor stores...... I have a couple from them, and have no complaints.

Another tip might be to check garage sales in your area and/or Craigs list? I have a buddy who has scored on several awesome OLD pieces of cast iron cookware over the years by scrounging garage sales.

Good luck!

S.

:)

I've got a few Lodge's and love them but haven't used anything else. A tip: Buy one bigger than you think you'll need. I love my 14 and use it almost exclusively over my 12.

Good luck.

TRH

That's a relief!!! I thought you were going to tell us you farted and pulled the covers over your wifes head!!!!

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I own a bunch, most sizes, and different brands. Lodge is the best IMO, they are also more expensive for the most part. I don't have any complaints about the others. The one that I use the most is a deep 14". When it is full of boneless pork ribs it is a heavy son of a gun. My best advise is to use them often.

I have 7 or 8 different ones Ive picked up over the years
The all cook different.
I have 2 that I got why I was out of town a few years back.
There both Lodge 12". The one turned out to be my favorite of all my ovens why the other one has never seemed to cook even.But yet they both came of the same shelf on the same day
If I only owned one it would be a 12" deep
It doesn't matter what brand just be sure to spend the time to get it seasoned right even if they clam it per-seasoned
Also clean it good with warm water after each time you cook in it and rub a small amount of cooking oil in the inside and out and store it with a paper towel in-between the lid for a little ventilation

First piece of advice.......don't buy the Chinese imported ones.

I have several also. My favorite is an oval 14 that has been in my family for at least 120 years.

Practice with them and get 2 or 3 books.......cooking with Dutch ovens is like making a martini......there are many methods.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

You need to decide how you want to use it. A deep 14 for 2 adults and 2 kids is WAY over kill. I have a couple of 8's that I like to use for two people. I like to do cakes in my 10's. I also like the 10's for casseroles, and potatoes. For ribs and roasts I like my deep 12. You will find that one just won't work. You will need more.
I like to get a meal planned put on the coals and go scouting, or hunting, or fishing. They do their job and dinner is done when you get back. My favorite things to make. Devils food cake with marshmallow and caramel frosting. Potatoes, Pork sirloin roast, and last Sawtooth chicken. Ron

>What is Sawtooth Chicken?

I use 5 Blue grouse or Ruffed grouse and I bone them and cut into bite size pieces. I use a 10" dutch oven. I place 10 or so briquets on the bottom and put some olive oil in the oven. I brown the chicken in the oven to keep the flavor. After the bite size pieces are browned I add 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup.1-8 oz tub of sour cream. 1- small can of mushrooms drained. 3 cups of rice and 2 1/2 cans of milk ( fill the soup cans).
Add everything and stir it well. Put 6 briquets on bottom and 14 on the top. Turn the lid about every 20 min and let the coals burn out.
This is a large order and will feed a lot of people. Ron

Dang Ron, you just made me REAL hungry! I think I need to invite you along as camp cook. Which brings up a question to you guys using Dutch ovens.

How long does this take to prepare for an average meal in Dutch ovens?? I mean you need to dig a hole, here in Az. that aint so easy! Then you have to burn down the wood to get hot coals, how long does that usually take and what kinds of wood do you usually use or are you using charcoal? Do you generally have everything prepared at home then put it in your oven or do you make it up fresh on the spot?

Seems to me it's a lot of work and would be taking up hunting or snoozing time. I have eaten foods out of Dutch ovens including some homemade Fritters?YUM! But I wasn?t around for preparation so I'm not real sure how long it takes or how much is involved. I generally pre-make all foods that I can heat up in a pot or pan and freeze them. Get good meals that way in short order and helps to keep the ice longer on the hunts.

GBA

AZ......you got 2 methods going on here.

IN the ground buried with coals, or ON the ground with coals under and on lid.

In the ground takes more effort but less attention.

Above the ground requires more practice and attention.

Both are great........but that is why I said you need a couple of books. Lots of recipes and techniques.

I could be wrong, but I believe there are things you can cook in a Dutch oven that can never be duplicated by any other method.

My hunt camp, all time fav is leg of lamb, in French onion soup with mushrooms, garlic and onions. My Bro in laws speciality......but I can't do it. I would not eat lamb in any other recipe......ever.

I can however, make a peach cobbler that will make you kick your Granma out of the chow line.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-12 AT 10:08PM (MST)[p]My cookbook and oven are at my bro in laws in the camp gear box. I don't have it handy, but in a few weeks......I will post it up if needed.

"Dutch Oven Cookbooks" is a company in Idaho that sells EVERYTHING you will ever need or want in the field of Dutch ovens.

They have a cookbook by a guy named J. Wayne Fears. I use his recipes and methods, for the most part.
They have 20 cookbooks, at least, but this guy is the "Davy Crockett" of Dutch oven cooking.

In my cobbler, I ALWAYS use fresh fruit, add half a cup of brown sugar, double up on the cinnamon and the Bisquik.

Mix all the wet stuff at home and put in ziploc bag to "marinate".

Use 2 more briquettes on top and add 5 minutes to the cook time.

You need to hold a shotgun on the crew, to let it cool about 20 minutes before it is attacked.

When a recipe says "don't peek".......DON'T PEEK!

They give them away free at the clubhouse...

On a serious note Nickman has good advice here.. You can make a lot of cool meals with them from supper to breakfast..

Basic rule of thumb for most cooking is 2/3 heat on top and 1/3 on bottom...

Last year in camp my God daughters helped me cook a fresh blueberry cobbler, it went great with the homemade vanilla ice cream..

b4771a4d.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom