Dual sport motorcycle Ideas

Idahoron

Very Active Member
I have an old honda XR 250L dual sport bike. I am thinking about up grading this bike to either a Honda XR 650L or a Suzuki DR650 SE. The thing I like about the Honda is it is a honda. After reading some reviews I like what they are saying about the Suzuki.
The big thing I see between them is the seat height. I don't think I can touch the ground except with my toes on the Honda. The Suzuki is the same height as my 250. I am more than a little worried that the height will be an issue on road and off. I don't want to come to a stop light and lay it over because of a low spot in the road.
Does anyone have any personal experience with these bikes?
Ron

I have an old honda XR 250L dual sport bike. I am thinking about up grading this bike to either a Honda XR 650L or a Suzuki DR650 SE. The thing I like about the Honda is it is a honda. After reading some reviews I like what they are saying about the Suzuki.
The big thing I see between them is the seat height. I don't think I can touch the ground except with my toes on the Honda. The Suzuki is the same height as my 250. I am more than a little worried that the height will be an issue on road and off. I don't want to come to a stop light and lay it over because of a low spot in the road.
Does anyone have any personal experience with these bikes?
Ron

I have been on a Honda 650 and loved the bike. I have the same problem with touching the ground. Honda bikes are bullet proof IMO.

As far as Suzuki I have a road bike and love it. No problems at all. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

You should buy the bike you are comfortable on. It sounds like the decision you are facing is a safety issue? If the Suzuki sits at the same height you are already used and you like it then stick with it and enjoy the added power.

I have been on a Honda 650 and loved the bike. I have the same problem with touching the ground. Honda bikes are bullet proof IMO.

As far as Suzuki I have a road bike and love it. No problems at all. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

You should buy the bike you are comfortable on. It sounds like the decision you are facing is a safety issue? If the Suzuki sits at the same height you are already used and you like it then stick with it and enjoy the added power.

I have ridden both and both are equally reliable. Look into getting a linkage kit, you can drop the rear linkage about 2 inches. Also you can take some padding out of the seat to drop the height. Personally I would buy the one you can get a better deal on.
Good luck let us know what you get

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I have ridden both and both are equally reliable. Look into getting a linkage kit, you can drop the rear linkage about 2 inches. Also you can take some padding out of the seat to drop the height. Personally I would buy the one you can get a better deal on.
Good luck let us know what you get

When I first got the XR 250L I thought it would be dirt only. Then I started to use it to go to work on for about 5 months out of the year. I geared it lower for off road but I don't use it much for off road. I mostly use it for around town with some off road thrown in once and a while. I would use it for slightly longer trips to Twin Falls. I can ride "with" traffic with the 250 if I stay on country roads. Highway speed is not comfortable due to the knobby tires and high RPM due to the off road gears. I REALLY want a bike with a starter. Mine kicks over good but the starter is just a lot nicer.
If I could get the Honda the same height as my honda I would do it. It is a tall bike and I am more than a little worried about safty with that tall of a bike. I have heard that there were after market lowering kits but I don't want to throw more money into making something work if there is already a bike that can do it.
I had a appointment to go test drive them yesterday but I didn't get back to town in time. I am going to get that done this week. I have found a used DR650 for a SMOKING good deal. I might go test drive a new one and make an offer on the used one.
I will sell my 250 after I get the other one. Any Ideas on what I should ask for a price? It is a 1991 XR 250L. 9000 miles and only one ding in the gas tank. It runs perfect and doesn't burn any oil. Ron

2250P1010005.jpg

When I first got the XR 250L I thought it would be dirt only. Then I started to use it to go to work on for about 5 months out of the year. I geared it lower for off road but I don't use it much for off road. I mostly use it for around town with some off road thrown in once and a while. I would use it for slightly longer trips to Twin Falls. I can ride "with" traffic with the 250 if I stay on country roads. Highway speed is not comfortable due to the knobby tires and high RPM due to the off road gears. I REALLY want a bike with a starter. Mine kicks over good but the starter is just a lot nicer.
If I could get the Honda the same height as my honda I would do it. It is a tall bike and I am more than a little worried about safty with that tall of a bike. I have heard that there were after market lowering kits but I don't want to throw more money into making something work if there is already a bike that can do it.
I had a appointment to go test drive them yesterday but I didn't get back to town in time. I am going to get that done this week. I have found a used DR650 for a SMOKING good deal. I might go test drive a new one and make an offer on the used one.
I will sell my 250 after I get the other one. Any Ideas on what I should ask for a price? It is a 1991 XR 250L. 9000 miles and only one ding in the gas tank. It runs perfect and doesn't burn any oil. Ron

2250P1010005.jpg

I have been into motorcycles for years. More so than hunying but I love this sight. My advise for You would be to look for a suzuki drz400s. Plenty of power for the street and reasonably nimble on trails. Without including the big adventure bikes the drz400s is the best dual sport on the market.My .02

I have been into motorcycles for years. More so than hunying but I love this sight. My advise for You would be to look for a suzuki drz400s. Plenty of power for the street and reasonably nimble on trails. Without including the big adventure bikes the drz400s is the best dual sport on the market.My .02

I believe the Kawasaki klr 650 is the lowest of all the 650's on the market, but it leaves a lot to be desired off road. If your going used, the 400 market would be worth looking into, the kawasaki klx 400 is also a good one, they might be closer in height to your 250 and they will actually be a little more peppy. I am also a huge fan of the suzuki.
To be fully honest I think you would be lucky to get 800 to 1000 but look at nada.com
The linkage kit is pretty inexpensive and easy to do by yourself.

I believe the Kawasaki klr 650 is the lowest of all the 650's on the market, but it leaves a lot to be desired off road. If your going used, the 400 market would be worth looking into, the kawasaki klx 400 is also a good one, they might be closer in height to your 250 and they will actually be a little more peppy. I am also a huge fan of the suzuki.
To be fully honest I think you would be lucky to get 800 to 1000 but look at nada.com
The linkage kit is pretty inexpensive and easy to do by yourself.

Idahron. why did ou mount your rifle on your bike? I have tw 200
I been trying to figure out the best spot, in case i crash. Thanks Mike

Idahron. why did ou mount your rifle on your bike? I have tw 200
I been trying to figure out the best spot, in case i crash. Thanks Mike

I mounted it on the bike because I don't like it hanging on me. I don't know if there is a best place in case of a crash. Ron

I mounted it on the bike because I don't like it hanging on me. I don't know if there is a best place in case of a crash. Ron

I see you're looking for a 650. Everyone at work who rides swears by the 04 and prior Honda XR 400R. No radiator to puncture, bullet proof like your current ride and more power than the 250. less weight than the 650, would make it more nimble. Not sure of the seat height difference between the two. Personally looking at a plated XR 400 or DR 400. All bikes have slight trade offs. The 650's would be better for more highway driving. I'll be needing the lowering kit or thinner seat cushion myself so I know what you mean there.

I see you're looking for a 650. Everyone at work who rides swears by the 04 and prior Honda XR 400R. No radiator to puncture, bullet proof like your current ride and more power than the 250. less weight than the 650, would make it more nimble. Not sure of the seat height difference between the two. Personally looking at a plated XR 400 or DR 400. All bikes have slight trade offs. The 650's would be better for more highway driving. I'll be needing the lowering kit or thinner seat cushion myself so I know what you mean there.

The xr 400 are excelent bikes but no magic button and can be a pain to kick start.

The xr 400 are excelent bikes but no magic button and can be a pain to kick start.

I was in your shoes and looked really hard at the xr and the CRF 450x both for dual sport purposes. In my travels I stumbled upon the KTM 450exc. Electric start, OEM street legal, 6 speed, light, powerful, and built from the factory. I ride approx 30% road, 70% dirt and it performs great on both. They are hard to come by, and when the less expensive ones come up on KSL, they are always gone within 24hours. Something you should look into. My dad liked mine so much that he bought one for himeself.

)}-SLIVER-->

I was in your shoes and looked really hard at the xr and the CRF 450x both for dual sport purposes. In my travels I stumbled upon the KTM 450exc. Electric start, OEM street legal, 6 speed, light, powerful, and built from the factory. I ride approx 30% road, 70% dirt and it performs great on both. They are hard to come by, and when the less expensive ones come up on KSL, they are always gone within 24hours. Something you should look into. My dad liked mine so much that he bought one for himeself.

)}-SLIVER-->

Yep, KTM's are the cats meow for that type of riding...Here's the last one I had..

ef9dda2f.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Yep, KTM's are the cats meow for that type of riding...Here's the last one I had..

ef9dda2f.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-11 AT 11:25AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-11 AT 11:24?AM (MST)

+3 on the KTMs, you get the same speed as an XR 650 with a lot less weight, cant really compare an XR 400 or a DRZ400 to the 450 EXC or it is not a fair comparison.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-11 AT 11:25AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-11 AT 11:24?AM (MST)

+3 on the KTMs, you get the same speed as an XR 650 with a lot less weight, cant really compare an XR 400 or a DRZ400 to the 450 EXC or it is not a fair comparison.

I am considering the Yamaha 250. It is 30 lbs lighter than the Suzuki 400 with not a big drop in power. The Yamaha is fuel injected which can be real nice when you are changing elevation.

I am considering the Yamaha 250. It is 30 lbs lighter than the Suzuki 400 with not a big drop in power. The Yamaha is fuel injected which can be real nice when you are changing elevation.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom