Drug education

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
I was going to add this to Eels post about the dope deal gone bad but 1911s last post there made me puke so I decided to start a new one. And after seeing Beanman's post about his nephew and addictions I thought it appropriate to post.

I attended a presentation the other night about marijuana (not my first). A couple of the presenters were from Colorado and were basically offering information and a perspective about the new recreational marijuana law there. One was a 36 year veteran cop, the other was a doctor who studies addictions.

I have to say, I have joked about marijuana and other drugs but after hearing them speak I can see it is no laughing matter. This stuff today definitely isn't the same dope we smoked in college (yes Bess, I will save you the trouble... I inhaled). "It's not your father's" marijuana.

I'm not being some judgey plick or Bible thumper who thinks it's evil or anything like that. I am not trying to be a hypocrite either. However, the greed involved in both medical and recreational legalization is eye opening. It's ALL about the money. No surprise there but the extent to which people have gone was a surprise for me.

I learned a whole new vocabulary in the last week. Shatter, wax, butter, dabbing, BHO, etc, etc. Amazing what it has become. The edibles just amazed me. Pixey sticks, fruity pebbles, gummy worms and a myriad of other THC laced foods. Wow! I'm sure Jester could give us a complete education.

Anyway, not trying to be Debbie Downer here but man, educate your kids so they can make reasonable choices and use some caution.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Well said NVB. This is not political, religious, philosophical, moral, it's a 100% train wreck for individuals, families, communities, State and Nations.

Mexico, Columbia, Nicaragua, pre 1900 China, and the list goes on and on.

I'll never accept the claim the drug dealers and their Governments make that, "if Americans didn't want dope, they wouldn't provide it."

Sucking young kids (20 year olds are still young kids) into drugs before they're mature enough make smart decisions is as calculated as any main stream marketing strategy.

This may sound radical and I guess it is but I believe, some where down the road, many years after I'm dead and forgotten, America will impose a death sentence on anyone using or marketing drugs. Throughout history, when a society allows itself to decline to a certain level, either internally or externally, somebody fixes it and it isn't done diplomatically.

Educating our kids is critical NBV, but, without trying to be snarky, in reality, how receptive were you to "drug education" when you were in college? Receptive to any council, about any thing for that matter? Seems we need to start educating then at 2 years old and never relent for a second.

Educate, yes. Hell yes. But CRUSHING suppliers and CRUSHING THEM AS IF YOU WERE CRUSHING SOMEONE THAT WAS KILLING OUR KIDS WITH A GUN OR A KNIFE, OR WITH STRYCHNINE.

For hell sake.................they're killing our kids, as sure as if they were shooting them.

And now we've made it legal homicide.

How can people keep thinking this is going to work?

DC

Most pot smokers will deny this and poo-poo it, but marijuana can be far more dangerous then alcohol. The pot that was consumed in the 60's & 70's was running about 7% THC content. The hybrid marijuana being cultivated today is around 18-19% THC content. 3 times stronger then the old Mexican marijuana.
If I remember right it was the University of Louisiana that ran long term experiments on pot smokers. Every joint consumed does damage to the human brain cells. Long term use does lead to a lower level of intelligence and the user becoming more lethargic as time goes by.
For the majority of hard core drug users, marijuana was the gateway drug they started with. Today a lot of the growers are converting the plant to hash oil with a higher THC content. It is smaller in size and easier to transport and more profit from the user wanting a ultimate high.

For the pot smokers that will tell me this is B.S., I will smile and tell them to knock themselves out as I do not care if they screw up their lives. The only bad part is that our kids are mostly too young to make a smart decision when some A-hole dealer tells them how great it feels to smoke a joint because he wants to expand his customer list. Education is the key to get our kids to make the right decision to stay away from drugs. I would like to see convicted drug dealers get a needle in the arm and sentence to death upon conviction.

RELH

Lumpy, you are absolutely correct. When I was that age NOBODY could tell me anything. I knew it all. I honestly dont know what the answer is. I just hope that my grand kids make a good choice. Certainly education isnt goung to fix it all. But if it helps some its worth it.

One of our local juvenile probation officers said in the last year he has seen a 4th grader and 3rd grader show up with marijuana issues. Third fricken grade!!! And an interesting statistic was how many kids get their dope from family members. Thats not new either though, the kid that got me high the first time stole his dope from his dad. Forty some years ago. Of course that "kid" is now in prison for being a habitual criminal.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

I was shocked when Obama came out and said Pot isn't really bad. I never voted for him but since he got it I hoped he would do something good for Americans. He has made some Black Americans worse and he is promoting Pot along with everything else. This thread isn't about Obama and I know that.
Pot never made one person smarter and a large percentage of pot users went on to get bigger buzzes from hard drugs.
We are on a downhill slide.

LAST EDITED ON May-25-15 AT 08:00PM (MST)[p]I don't know anything about the recreational use of marijuana. Never tried it and have never been around it. However, I do feel strongly about medicinal marijuana administered through transdermal patches. After seeing the relief and comfort it can provide for terminally ill loved ones when nothing else worked, I would fight for it's specific legality against any argument.

LAST EDITED ON May-25-15 AT 09:22PM (MST)[p]I agree mbogo, it has its place in a medical environment. The problem is here in colorado the majority of medical marijuana card holders are males 18-30 claiming chronic pain. They aren't old enough to know what real pain is. People are drivin hi causein wrecks. A 4th grader brought his grandma's weed to school last fall to sell it to his classmates. A guy took a whole edible a while back (4-5 doses) freaked out and killed his girlfriend. A couple people ate the whole edible and jumped from the 2nd and 3rd floor. Houses blow up weekly from some smart guy tryin to cook hash oil. Check out craigslists in colorado, you can get plants,grow equipment,seeds, anything necessary to grow weed. The horse is outta the barn here, I'd recommend keepin it in were you live.

mbogo, pharmaceuticals are made from all kinds of stuff that can heal or kill us. If MJ is a legitimate prescription, issued by a legitimate doc, like morphine or oxycontins, I have no quarrel with it.

However, I feel the same about abusers of medical drugs as I do about non-medical drugs. "You give or sell legal drugs, for non-medical use, to someone, anyone, you may as well have run a shank in them, so you go to the gallows right along with the drug dealer." Not, you mbogo, just referring to these killers of our kids.

Legal drugs, I live because of legal drugs. I'm a diabetic, have been for 20 years, I'd be dead with out legal drugs. This isn't, in my opinion, an indictment on the use of legal drugs, MJ or otherwise.

DC

Good post NVB. It really is about the money. A lot of people are out to get a piece of the pie. I know a guy who got fired from the sawmill and I saw him about a year later out on the ocean in his new 130K Grady White fishing boat. I know him well enough to know he's not in the least bit interested in anybody's health and well being except his own, so I wouldn't call him a Doctor as some would have us believe.

It really is the economic life blood of Humboldt Co. CA even if it is mostly under ground. It has virtually replaced the timber industry.

There is a dark ugly side to it too as you can imagine. Every year several people go missing around here. Mostly migrant workers who come here at harvest time. Just disappear. Friends and relatives always say he or she was headed to Humboldt County to get work. That was 2 years ago and we haven't heard from them.

And then there is the environmental damage that just now is raising a lot of attention.

Those who are in favor of legal marijuana say these are the reasons to legalize, regulate and tax the industry. They say we're not going to stop it so we might as well live with it. I suppose they're right.

Eel

Sounds like Prohibition arguements from the 1920's. Perhaps we should revert this as well?

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

>I'm with 2lumps, I would like
>to crush a couple of
>dealers right now. No
>Remorse.

Yea there's a couple liquor store clerks I'd like to crush too. No remorse.

Well.......my thirteen year old promised me he'd never touch it......so I have no worries

??They say we're not going to stop it so we might as well live with it. I suppose they're right.??

You?re absolutely right. Interesting thing is 70% of Utah?s population has held that belief for a very long time now. You know, the whole ?living in the world, but not of the world? thing. You throw a little Jesus and Book of Mormon in there and people get all freaked out. But should they? It's all about education. Some have called it indoctrination and fear. It's not. It's more about teaching kids from a very young age how to make good choices and understand that there are dangers and consequences to decisions. We have a lot less kids dying here than anywhere else in the country. We must be doing something right, or at the very least doing something different.

To be clear, I'm not spouting this out from a religious soap box. Just saying, there are ways to combat this trend. Kids need to be taught. They need to hear it from you. They need to hear it often. Hearing it with their friends every Sunday from other likeminded adults can only help.

Or you can just hope for the best and ride out it with society. I think our kids deserve more from us than that if they're to have a shot. It's only going to get worse, as parents and grandparents we need to step it up.

5333utah.jpg

Well NVB!

You mighta thought I was Bullsshhittinng You when I ventured in to Colorado last Fall & seen a lot of JOKERS Smokin this Sshitt like cigarettes!

JFP!

I've said for years this Sshhitt is the New Cigarette!

Sad but True!

Most Dopers want something way better than MJ!

So you did Inhale Huh NVB?

You've got me beat there!:D

Ya!

Kids Growing up these Days having to be around these DOPERS/JOKERS is a Scary Deal when some of these Drugs are so Addictive!

One Question NVB?

What was the Effect when you Inhaled?

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Really?

Mark Benson Madsen, a Saratoga Springs Republican, is pushing for the conservative state to permit medicinal pot and seeking to enlist the support of Mormon voters after his proposed legislation failed to pass the legislature last month by just one vote.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/n...n-prophet-invoked-utah-medical-marijuana-plea

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Cops(active or retired) have the best
>chit!
>(don't be hypocrites!!)
>jester

Hey SMACKDADDY?

They Have the Best because they took it from you?

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

a fentanyl overdose...wtf?
they use that for gunshot wound pain.
highly effective...(had a connect)
hard to get..now used to cut heroine back east..
jester

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom