DREW IDAHO UNIT 11 SHEEP

S

shortnround

JUST A WORD OF WISDOM-NEVER, EVER CHECK TO SEE IF YOU DREW A LIMITED HUNT AT 3:00AM!!! YOU THINK I COULD SLEEP AFTER SEEING THAT I DRAWN AFTER THE FIRST TIME APPLYING! NO WAY. I CHECKED 3 TIMES TO MAKE SURE THAT I HAD ENTERED THE RIGHT NUMBER ON IDAHO'S WEBSITE. I HAVE'NT RECEIVED ANYTHING IN THE MAIL YET FROM IDAHO, SO I AM NOT FULLY BELIEVING IT YET.

sweet.
im sure you know that is by far the best/most waned tag here in idaho.were expecting pictures here.

Sorry about not responding sooner. I spent the holiday weekend scouting for whitetail in Northern Idaho. My friends & contacts suggested I talk to Jon Barker of Barker Trophy Outfitters. I guess he's THE MAN in this unit. He's a little bit spendy but I hear well worth it. Problem is that I'm not a rich man so I'm pretty much going with the gear I own. I shoot a Weatherby Ultralight .270 Win with 140gr Nosler Acubonds mostly, which is probably the rifle I'll use. I also own 2 Remington Model 700s in 30-06 & 7mm Rem Mag. that are heavier rifles. Would these be better choices? Anybody know how much to tip a guide/outfitter? I know they work hard at their occupation & I don't want to offend them with a low tip.

Great article! Thanks for the tip!
P.S. I lost 8 pounds in a week & a half. Still short, not as round.

Here are some unit 11 pics that will help with that weight loss.

This one is a live pic of the ram taken with a muzzleloader by the draw tag hunter self-guided in 2003 (Justin Armstrong) which scored around 188.

4480aa761b8e854d.jpg

This is my cousin and I holding with a unit 11 ram from 2004 raffle hunter taken self-guided. This is the largest ram ever taken by a hunter in Idaho scoring 196 4/8.

4480ac0b33fc2113.jpg

This is a ram taken in unit 11 guided by Barker taken by a draw permit hunter in 2002 and scores 185+.

4480ada65c260345.jpg

As you can see you will have a great hunt. Hope this helps with the exercise program!

Nice pictures of some GREAT rams. They exceed everything I hoped & dreamed of taking. How many scouting trips did you make on your self-guided hunt in 2004? That was an unbelievable ram. Where does it rank B & C? Did you help guide Russ Young with outfitter Craig Martin last year in the Lookout Mountain unit in Oregon? Just wondering-picture looks familiar.

The 2004 ram was not mine, I just posed with it! I'm not sure where it ranks in overall B&C. Yes, I was on Russ' Oregon hunt as well. Im kinda one of those sheep bums and since I can see the Snake River from my house I'm lucky enough to get to go on some great hunts close to home.

Keep us posted and good luck.

The last picture is of a friend of mine ( Bill ) who I hunted with in 2003 in Greys River for mule deer. He hunted for about 6 or 7 days alone on the sheep hunt before going to town to find & hire Jon Barker. He is a hard hunter and worked hard for his Ram, well deserved.

Dave

Ramslam

Looks like you know your way around rams pretty well. Ever guided on the John Day River in Oregon? There (Oregon is my native state) or the Blue Mountains in Washington (my home state now) is kind of where I thought & hoped I would draw my first sheep. Glad I was wrong!

Yes, Bill is a great guy. He hunted in Utah for his desert with some friends of mine. And can you believe that lucky dog won a hunt at FNAWS for a Fannin/Dall!!!

Short,

I have been on three Cali hunts on the John Day (180 1/2, 178, & 178) all workin with Craig Martin. Man I love hunting that place. I took my Rocky in Washington. You are a Washington resident???? Send me an email.

[email protected]

I would possibly wait a while before you definitely book with Barker. I personally know the unit very well and can provide some info if you need. Unless you have no time to scout it yourself, I think its a pretty easy unit to do by yourself.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom