Drew G37...finally, advice

C

ChickenHawker

I finally drew the coveted California G37 tag after years of trying. I have never participated in any type of chat room before, but need some pointers on how to approach preparing for this hunt - so I figured I'd give this a shot. I know where the zone is and have hunted some in D6, but have never been within the G37 area. I only live about 2 hours away & fully intend to do plenty of scouting, but also recognize that this is a migration hunt so will be scouting the area more than the animals... I have a couple buddies that have agreed to hunt with me, but I am the only one I know that has a tag. I am in good shape physically and am an experienced deer hunter. I would rather have tag soup than take anything on this hunt that didn't make me say "wow". I intend to hunt the entire 9 day season. I am looking for advice on the best way to approach this hunt. Assuming the weather cooperates, will I be better off hiking, sitting, glassing, driving??? Appreciate any help you may have.

I went up there scouting yesterday. I stopped in at the forest service & am now stocked up with the latest maps. While there I spoke to a couple staff members, getting what info I could from them. Unfortunately no one there really had any advice regarding the hunt. Everyone said the plan was to have the closure from the rim fire lifted 11/18, although that was subject to change at usfs descretion. I did get the name of the local fish and game warden & will contact him soon. Anyone hunted G37 before & willing to share some advice?

Adversity does not build character, it reveals it - Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Look down the list of Forums until you find the "California" forum. Look in there, last year, the year before, and even before that. Some really good threads in there about the area and bucks that you are going to get to hunt.

Nickman has freely helped a LOT of guys with their hunts as he lives right there and pretty much keeps his thumb on the pulse of that late hunt area.

From what i've gathered, i don't put in or hunt there, you want to hope for heavy early snow and if it happens, lots of decent to nice, and some even better class of bucks.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I think Nickman drinks Bud Light....send him an 18 pack and he'll help you the whole 9 days. :) J/K.....Joey is right...he's the guy to talk to. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him around lately. He'll chime in if you put something on the California forum, I'm sure. Good luck on your hunt....awesome feeling to have a late season tag in your pocket.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Preciate it sage!! Anyone know of how to get ahold of nickman?

I will try him there, thx

Dunno, sounds like you have experience there...?? Maybe you should seek some counseling... :p~~

Chap-Dog 48 has some great pictures and stuff from that area, You should send him a PM too.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

You clowns need to get your g zones straight......g37 is not in nickmans league.....

1283eagle_government.jpg

Well dang.......I'm calling parole. I know for a fact conditions of his release said no travel to the western sierra.....

1283eagle_government.jpg

Zigger, i'll admit that you were right though i did remember that post by nickman. My first thoughts when the original poster spoke of drawing "...coveted California G37 tag after years of trying" was that he had drawn Lone pine or G-3, whatever that hard to draw late hunt in Nickman's back yard is.

Guys looking for info should, as well as list the hunt number, tell of the area and season of your hunt. ie: late season Doyle muzzy hunt.

That would help us guys not sitting next to a copy of the regs booklet. Thanks!!

Joey

We'll #%*\, I just googled it & found the slang definition. Thx for bringing it to my attention Jester. I will be changing my user name immediately.

You can't make up this stuff!!! LMAO

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom