Drew East Canyon Moose!

BIGOLMULEY

Well it is official, I have drawn the east canyon moose tag. I feel extremly lucky because I drew San Juan archery elk last year and then pull this tag this year. Well I have hunted the area during the extended archery season and have seen some nice bulls, and have some possible ins on some private land above Morgan. But as in another post, what is a big moose? I am hunting with a bow, but feel I can still get a good one. Have looked up how they are scored and it is confusing. I think 40"+ with good points and some decent brows would be great, but is that what you shoot with a OIL tag? Been looking at pictures, and it is still difficult. I figure tons of scouting and find as many as possible. Any help would be appreciated. My only problem is I put in for the Gila in NM, and G in Wyoming. They are both the last two weeks of Sep. I may have to eat a tag or two. I know I have most of Oct. to hunt the moose, but I have heard the first week is the best because they are rutting. Thanks, Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

if you want score the palmation length and width are what get you better scores. it also helps if there are three brow tines per side and at least 9 ot 10 points per side. your bigger bulls will also be i'd say at least 46 wide but some in the state will go at least 50 inches with the exceptional at close to mid 50 inches. the bulls do move a lot during the rut but sometimes it can be good later in the hunt do to fewer leaves but it does depend on if snow comes early or not. my bro. shot his on day 4 of the hunt last year in ogden unit.

Thanks for the info. I actually got a call from your brother last week and he told me you were the one to get a hold of. Said you have some great sheds. I live in Riverdale, maybe we could get together one of these days, I know I would appreciate it. Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

Jason and Trent
Hope both of you can make it to the AntlerFest show in Roy next month. Should be some great moose sheds to look over and judge.
Trent, I sent you an email with the flyer for the show.
Jason, if you want want post your email.
Yelum(Larry)

Good luck.

mule.gif

NBJB

I drew a moose tag in Wyo last year and did an incredible amount of research and scouting prior to my hunt. Scoring moose is a little bit complicated but once you get it figured out it's pretty easy to figure out a bull's score.

The moose in the area I hunted were very visible during the summer months and I took a lot of photos and video of them as their antlers matured. The photos/video turned out to be very valuable because I could look them over at home in great detail. At home I could pick apart each bulls measurements and get a better idea of how each one would score. These also gave me an idea of what type of bulls were available in my unit. Quite a few of the bulls I saw during the summer were in the same vicinity on every trip....in fact a few of them I gave names. It was also exciting taking video during the summer of the bull I ended up shooting!

By mid to late-August the bulls antlers were pretty much fully developed. Before that time it was pretty tough judging bulls. One thing I noticed was the brows and main beams were the first to develop. The palms slowly developed through the summer months and the points on the palms were the very last part of the antlers to develop (which finally gave me a feel for antler spread).

If you want some advice on how to score shiras I'd be glad to help out. I can be reached at: [email protected] Have a great time scouting and hunting those big ole bullwinkles!

[email protected]
Thanks for all the info, Would love to go to antlerfest, I live in Riverdale, so it won't be much of a drive. Let me know. Building a new home right now, and that is keeping my mind off of this hunt. I should be done mid July. But am hoping to steal away and start climbing the mountain, just to see some areas I've not been much.
Trent, your brother just called me out of the blue. He saw my post I and tracked down my #. I will definately get a hold of you one of these days.
Thanks again, Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

well good luck with the new house i've been trying to get my basement finished so that is taking up most of my free time. I actually am probably going to head to antlerfest but it will later i have to work till 2:00. i'll be helping out a friend that drew on the ogden river but love to hunt so i'd be glad to help what little i can, just give me a jingle. i havent talked to my bro in a while does he know you? any ways good luck on the house they sure take time. if he did not say were i live im out in no ogden. trent

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom