Drew Area 22 in Idaho

billygoat

After twelve years of applying for Male Goats in multiple states, I drew Area 22 in Idaho. Now that a goat hunt is going to happen for me, reality is setting in. I intend to call the state biologist in that area, but in the meantime, I have a few questions regarding DIY vs. guided.

1. Is 22 a DIY type of unit?

2. If anyone is familiar with the unit, where should I concentrate my search?

3. What is the latest I can realistically hunt the area without putting myself in some miserably cold/dangerous conditions?

4. Having only observed goats from afar, I am realistically a novice when it comes to these animals. I am a little worried about judging the size of their horns and frankly the challenge of sexing them at long range.

-- How difficult is it to judge the horns at typical rifle range?

-- Same questions for the sex of the animal -- can I judge a male from female at extended ranges?

5. In case I decide go guided, any recommendations?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-11 AT 00:23AM (MST)[p]here is a pic from unit 23 looking into unit 22 i took one september.
that rock is the prominant high point in the unit and im sure the goats will be concentrated there. there is a 4wd road on the lower elevation face in the pic, but it snows in pretty early. there have been years where its dry through most of october, but as you can see here, there are also years you wouldnt want to be there on september 15.

9612sept_011.jpg

alaska, nevada, utah, colorado, fish and game websites have id course that help with billy/nanny id. i drew in boulder white clouds this year and have hunted twice in b.c. for goats just so you know we don't put allot of goats in the book in idaho. a trophy goat in idaho is more about looks then horn length. mid oct is when our goats are fully haired and look there best, are weather like the rest of the west can be a crap shoot. GET IN SHAPE !!! enjoy the country don't just struggle up and shoot the first one you see. look up goat facts on internet. there's somethings you need to know like 94% of horn length occurs in the first 3 years. have fun hells canyon is awsome.

>alaska, nevada, utah, colorado, fish and
>game websites have id course
>that help with billy/nanny id.
>i drew in boulder white
>clouds this year and have
>hunted twice in b.c. for
>goats just so you know
>we don't put allot of
>goats in the book in
>idaho. a trophy goat in
>idaho is more about looks
>then horn length. mid oct
>is when our goats are
>fully haired and look there
>best, are weather like the
>rest of the west can
>be a crap shoot. GET
>IN SHAPE !!! enjoy the
>country don't just struggle up
>and shoot the first one
>you see. look up goat
>facts on internet. there's somethings
>you need to know like
>94% of horn length occurs
>in the first 3 years.
>have fun hells canyon is
>awsome.

^Great advice^ Very thoughtful info too.
I hunted area 50, I think that's it, so I can't be of any help. But I will say congratulations and have a great hunt!

Be sure to post some photos of your hunt and also kill shots if luck comes your way. We want to be happy for you.

Best, Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom