Drawing Question

U

utaz

My entire hunting life I've always put as my first two choices the areas in which I felt I had the best chances in drawing a tag! I would like to start trying for the later season hunts (rut hunts), however I do not want to loose the chance of getting a tag.

My question to all is:

If I make my first two choices on applicaitons hard to get hunts (lower number of tags/higher number of apps/rut hunts) would I have a chance of loosing out on hunting for that year? I was thinking of putting my better chance odds hunt units as my third, fourth and fifth choices.

I hope someone on this site follows my question here!!! I hunt AZ, UT and just applied in CO.

Thanks UTAZ

Each state varies. Some use bonus points (you get more chances in the hopper as you build points) and some use preference points (application with most points gets to front of line). Some states check everyone's first choice before any other choices while other states look at all your choices before looking at the next applicant.

I suggest joining Huntin Fool for $100 a year or subscribe to Eastman's Hunting and Bowhunting Journals as way to get up to speed on the various state requirements and see what units they suggest (may want to NOT apply where they say to since 1000s of us read the same info, ha ha).

May even want to keep getting one of the above since changes seem to happen each year somewhere. For example, Colorado started a hybrid draw this year and New Mexico now requires full upfront fees as apply for more species this year.

Good luck.

I can only speak for Colorado

In Colorado, you can either put in for a preference point or a hard to draw hunt (4th season, etc) as your first choice. Either way you will probably not draw until you have substantial points, but you will gain a preference point. That is the only way you will ever get enough points to draw the better tags in the years to come.

And, there is no reason to ever apply in Colorado for a hard to draw tag as your second choice, because you will NOT draw, and it doesn't help you in any way. The only way you draw a tag as a second choice is if there are leftover tags after the first draw is complete.

And to draw a tag as a 3rd choice, there has to be left over tags after the first AND second draws, so putting a hard to draw unit as a second choice not only is a waste, but lowers your odds of drawing a tag at all.

So what I am saying is 1st choice: hard to draw area. (you get a pref. point) 2nd choice: unit with left over tags last year. 3rd choice: unit with LOTS of left over tags last year.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Utaz - I might suggest that each year you decide which state you'd most like to hunt and make your selections from there.

For example, if you want to hunt AZ this year, do as you have done in the past and apply for the units you feel give you the best chance at a tag. In Utah and Colorado, apply for tough to draw units. This way you're doing what you have in the past (which I assume has worked for you) and your still building points in other states. Then - when the time is right - you can apply for those late season ruts hunts you're after and have a better chance at drawing.

I'm in a similar situation this year. I'm working in the midwest right now which will make it tough to hunt in Nevada this year. On top of that I have a hunt planned with my dad and uncle in Montana. So, rather than apply for the tags I usually would in Nevada, I am going to apply for tough draw units. My goal with this is to essentially eliminate the chance at a tag in Nevada but I'll be maintaining my points there.

The last thing I want is to draw in my "home" state and also draw in Montana. With the travel that would be required, I simply won't have time for both this year.

Good luck to you, pal. Regardless of what you do I hope you have a heck of a year!

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]
http://raghornhs.blogspot.com

Raghorn, You need HF!!!!!!!!!

Cause with your scenario HF would tell you to PP it, not apply for long shots. Oh, maybe you just need me cause I'd tell you the same thing. Guess you proved your point, you just need MM.

Realistically, only so many primo tags and not enough to meet demand. As you have learned, each state has its own approach where it allocates the tags to perhaps outfitters, non-profits, commissioners, residents and non-residents.

If you are looking to go on a rut hunt with large animals and high harvest rates then in most states you will only draw a coveted tag once every 10-30 years. That is 1 to 4 times in your hunting life.

States with preference point systems on species face point creep on the primo tags. If it take 10 points to draw Unit X this year, may take 11 next year rather than 10 so you are only very slowly getting closer to having enough points to draw that tag as the years pass. Colorado is attempting to deal with that with the hybrid approach to deer and elk. Wyoming sheep tags will soon be going to mostly 70 year olds too old to have much success on a rugged sheep hunt.

Idaho and New Mexico do not use points so you might draw first year.

Nevada is example of state that uses bonus point system so the sooner you get started the better since they square your points to decide how many chances you have in each draw.

Some states like Wyoming use a blended approach so you might draw a tag first year if very lucky but most tags go to max point folks.

I apply for 70 tags a year in 10 western states and have never drawn more than 3 and some years have drawn just 1 tag. I apply for only primo hunts with odds as tough as 1:4000 and usually not better than 1:40. If I was applying for tags with 1:4 odds then I would never attempt 70 draws, though.

Is not a cheap hobby. I spend about $2000 a year on fees and licenses just to enter the draws and tie up a lot of money when have to prepay the entire tag amount to apply. The amount I spend and tie up each year is going up since states are raising fees much more than inflation. Take Oregon, if you want to hunt pronghorn as non-resident then might spend $2000 by time get drawn ("less" if apply for multiple species in Oregon since can spread the $2000 around sheep, deer, and elk draws, too). You can get a nice landowner pronghorn tag this year in NM for $2000. I will burn my Oregon deer points this year and elk next year then am done there based on my view of the game quality vs. cost to keep applying.

If I am skunked on all 70 draws one of these years, my Plan B is to pick up landowner tag in NM or CO or do OTC hunt.

Good luck and someone has to draw so might be you.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-10 AT 03:18PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-10 AT 03:05?PM (MST)

Cali - I believe that is exactly what I wrote.

Utaz's main concern was losing the chance at a tag if he changed his strategy from what he's done in the past. My comments were geared toward that...the opinion being that he should keep doing what he's been doing which (presumably) is getting him tags, and build points for those rut hunts he wants. Then, when he has enough points, apply FIRST for those hard-to-draw tags.

Afterall, what's the difference between actually applying for hard-to-draw hunts or just buying points? Either way you get points if you don't draw, don't you? Last time I checked that's how it worked.

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]
http://raghornhs.blogspot.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom