Draw odds report question???

Hi folks. Does anyone know of a good person in WGF that might be willing to explain Draw Odds Report to me? It looks like my son and I should have been able to draw our elk tags but we did not. I am a veteran of apps and have hunted in Wy for elk before. Thanks!!!

Please explain exactly what unit and draw you put in for and the PPs you had and one or more of the members on this Forum should be able to tell you why you didn't draw. WapitiBob, for one, knows as much about the Wyoming draw as any G&F person you would talk to. Fire away and we'll help you ASAP.

35-9 NR regular draw. I had 5pts, son had 6. The odds report said there was only 1 first choice app and one out of three tags were awarded. I don't understand the odds report. I know our Pts were averaged. Thanks!

Last year in the regular draw 2 of the 3 tags went to hunters with 4 points and 1 went to a hunter with 7 acording to hunters trailhead.

So with point creep or a few new applicants it's very possible you wouldn't draw.

Stay thirsty my friends

There was 1 person that applied with 6pts and drew. It shows that there were 2 people that put in with less than 6pts but more than 5pts. And those 2 applicants drew the last 2 tags. There were 40 applicants that applied with 5 pts or less that did not draw. Are you sure about how many pts you had? If you guys averaged 5.5pts like you say there should have been 2 more applicants in the less than 6pts but more than 5pts category.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-14 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]Sorry, this is for 39-9 not 35-9
http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/DRAW_ELK_PP_NONRES_20140005369.pdf

According to the draw odds there were 5 permits available. 1 went to someone that had 7 points, that left 4 tags available nobody with 6.5 applied so that left 4 permits. they issued 5 permits to people with 6 points there were 7 applicants. all permits were now given out, before they got to you and your son. with the point averaging you with 5 and your son with 6, you would have been in the pool with 5.5 and therefore all permits were allocated prior to getting to your point pool.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-14 AT 09:14AM (MST)[p]

>35-9 NR regular draw. I
>had 5pts, son had 6.
> The odds report said
>there was only 1 first
>choice app and one out
>of three tags were awarded.
> I don't understand the
>odds report. I know
>our Pts were averaged.
>Thanks!

It shows 1 tag issued to an applicant with 6pp, and 2 tags issued to applicants with <6pp. Are you sure that your point totals PRIOR to the draw were 5pp and 6pp?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-14 AT 09:43AM (MST)[p]If you partied and went in the draw with a 5.5PP average BEFORE you bought a PP this year, the only way you wouldn't have drawn a tag would be if the stat showed there were more than 2 with <6PPs. Then there would have been a drawing for those two tags instead of the 2 that it shows getting them automatically. My guess is that the OP bought a PP for each of them on their applications and thinks that PP was good for this year's draw, rather than next year like it actually is. It's either that or if he's correct about having 5.5PPs going into the draw that there was a misprint and there were more than 2 people in that <6PP pool resulting in them not drawing. The statement by the OP in his second post also doesn't make sense when he says there was only one first choice applicant and only one tag issued when they actually went down to the second pool of first choice applicants to give the two remaining tags to what it shows was only two applicants!

>
>Last year in the regular draw
>2 of the 3 tags
>went to hunters with 4
>points and 1 went to
>a hunter with 7 acording
>to hunters trailhead.
>
>So with point creep or a
>few new applicants it's very
>possible you wouldn't draw

>Stay thirsty my friends

***The stats for this year's draw are on the website to look at and not have to guess at what happened!

Given the above information, tagsoup seems correct. (at least the way I read it).

Not sure what went wrong.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-14 AT 04:14PM (MST)[p]>Given the above information, tagsoup seems
>correct. (at least the way
>I read it).
>
>Not sure what went wrong.
>
>Eel

***Three of us are all saying the same thing. It appears the OP either didn't have a 5.5PP average or there were more than the two people in that pool that shows there were two that got the other licenses. Let's see if the OP comes back to tell us if they actually had 5 and 6 PPs going into the draw because some don't realize that the PP you buy during the application period isn't good until the following year.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom