Dove Huntin' A Week From Today!!!

I want to go but don't really have a place. Two years ago, a bud and i drove over and hunted the Shin Ranch in X5-B but the birds were very few with not much shooting at all for our efforts.

Back in the day, dove season meant a nice long walk across the county road in front of my Grandparents Ranch House. We owned the property for about a mile and a half down this creek that had a pollywog trough and several small ponds. Between them and the dusty Bull Thistle flats, i was sure to jump enough or hit a few as they were passing by, to get easy limits most any day of the season.

Nowadays, i live to high up, and i guess too far, from decent numbers of birds. I just love a decent dove shoot but about 100 miles is as far as i'm willing to go to get one and even then, not sure where i'd go.

Joey

> Close to town.
>I like those big euroasian
>doves,I guess that's what you
>call them.

Cant you hunt the Eurasian Collared-Doves year round? You just need to be a good shot to pick them out of a flock.

Ok I looked them up,you can hunt them during dove season only,but there is no limit on the euro dove.

And no limit on the Euros either......right?

I got lucky last weekend. I took one of the horses for a ride and rode through a burn from last year. They were feeding in there like crazy. Couple of burnt, standing junipers where they might land. the birds were scattered with no definate concentration place but plenty for a guy to shoot a few. Think I'll hit the burn in the AM, be at work by 9:30 and hunt the overflowing horse trough in the evening. Beats anything else I can think to do.

PCs honey hole will be easy to find. Look for all the Buttwiper beer cans scattered around. And whats this talk about taking the edge off? I thought thats why you drink?? UHH OHH PC do we need to have a MM intervention with you :) Good luck hunting boys!! LOL

We have a crew of about 6 guys who have been shooting dove in the same spot opening day, for about 50 years.

Some old guys are gone, some newer guys take their place.

We sit in the shade, toast our old friends...1 beer only, at 6 am sharp.

Mostly we yell at the dogs... everyone has at least 2 and none of them behave in crowds.....there will be blood!

We have a BBQ, solve the worlds problems and tease the newlyweds or congratulate the newly divorced.

We trade guns, tell dirty jokes and just generally waste a whole day.....I wouldn't trade it for a trip to Argentina!

Oh, and some years, we actually have enough birds to inspire one or two of us to load our shotguns.

There WILL be a dead starling or two and even the occasional scrub jay....results of "mistaken identity" by some of the more citified guys.

The entire event could not possibly be more redneck!....except that we have VERY strict, long established, safety rules, any violation of same, results in a lifetime ban....never applied, but taken most seriously, nonetheless.

".....but by God, I never said a word to a pig!"

>CJ, MM has rehab????
>pc

Yeah at Founders secret clubhouse? I would talk to Lindsey Lohan first and try and get into one of the ten she has been in the past year or so.The secret clubhouse is a last resort!! When Rug and Founder come in and say we are playing good cop bad cop with you, its not like 48 hrs or Law and Order!!

Nickman sounds like a great hunt. We had one similar to that in Texas we did every year. We had shirts and hats made. The first afternoon we hunted and the rest of the weekend we cooked, drank and played washers.

We always hunt in Imperial Valley (Calexico) and the shooting is by far the best I have ever seen in CA.

But...

This year my hunting buddy is in the middle of some pretty serious medical tests and will not be making the trip so looks like this year I will be staying home.

Paul - The Eurasian dove taste just like the mourning dove but bigger, actually they are even a little bigger than white wings. Last year we got around 20 of them and the best part is they don't count.

One thing the wardens enforce where we hunt is you are required to leave one wing attached so they can id the birds since all three species are abundant in that area.

Jim

Jim come on up here and hunt doves with us, we some good looking dove spots picked out, come up the night before and sleep at the house you know you're always welcome up here for hunting.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Warren - Thank you for the invite. That sounds great and I am looking forward to heading over to your place and shooting some dove with you. I give you a call tomorrow (Tuesday).

Thanks again Warren!

Jim

Paul I have lived here since I got out of the service. I'm just a South Dakota boy in my heart still.Been here ALOOOOOONG Time.(And it still isn't SD by far)
We are hoping to put a few doves in the bag tommorrow.

It flat sucked saw 6 count them 6 dove this morning.

Limited out in about 45 minutes this evening. Missed a few, but shot less than a box of shells. Sometimes you just get lucky!

I got 5 in the am and 1 just before sundown,I hunted the nevada border,birds were slim pickens compared to years past.

A TON OF BIRDS, IT DID NOT TAKE LONG.......HAD A BLAST.....WENT THRU A BUNCH OF SHELLS......................YD.

Add 8 more for today ,just driveing and jump shooting them out of burnt junipers.

>It flat sucked saw 6 count
>them 6 dove this morning.

Gator - Next time you let the dove go make sure the door to the cage is all the way open!! Only 6 got out..

I know one thing for sure.. we scared the hell out of those 6 that did get out. I'll bet they didn't stop flying until they got down to Mexico.

>I couldn't hit $hit!! 25-30 shots...NOTHING
>but a few feathers!!! What
>the......? pc

Paul.. Was your shotgun hungover??? That has happened to mine before and it couldn't hit sh!t..

shot a limit today, but had to drive a 1 1/2 hr to a better area.

I'm stuffed! Been eating dove breasts with pepper jack, fire roasted ortega chiles and wrapped in bacon, then grilled. The shooting wasn't that great this year, but I got more doves over a few days than I can eat, even with a friend helping me. Of course, he helped me shoot them, too.

My son hunted in Yuma, AZ. Limited in about an hour each day, mostly whitewings. He's a punk! ;-)

Just got back from Montana fighting fires, went out last evening and could not find one bird. Oh well back to carrying my bow around looking for a buck before season ends.

" I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
Daniel Boone

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-11 AT 07:01AM (MST)[p] GREAT SEASON.......TONS OF BIRDS. I WENT FOR THE LAST TIME FRIDAY.........I AM LIKING DOVE HUNTING MORE ALL THE TIME. I HAVE NEVER BEEN A GOOD SHOT (30% SHOOTER) BUT I DID GET 10 BIRDS IN 12 SHOTS. ALL TIME RECORD FOR ME...........YD.

Dave - When you get 10 birds with 12 shots that is having a one hell of a good day shooting and I would say you were "on" that day.

It's been a great shoot down here by the Saltin Sea.. Been working with my dog 2-3 days a week getting her in shape for Duck season.
784691-1024x764.jpg

My drinking buddies have a hunting problem

I ended up ditchin' my 20 gauge, and went to a 12. Things started happening then. My son and I hammered them several times. Tomorrow is the last day. pc

THANKS 70GUY........IT WAS UNREAL. YOU KNOW I ALMOST FORGOT HOW MUCH PURE FUN DOVE HUNTIN REALLY IS.......CANT WAIT TO GO BACK.......YOU TAKE ER EASY...........YD.

got 7 last night should had 50 LOL, Hunted over a new cut Milo field and the birds was sure flying in and around it.

Does anyone have a good place to hunt dove the second season? Might be fun for some MM'ers to get toether for a shoot. What do you think? pc

I'M OUT.......ITS HOG POPPIN SEASON WHEN I GET BACK FROM UTAH DEER HUNT & COLORADO ELK. HAVE GOT TO DO MY PART........YD.

NAW.......WITH 3731 POSTS, & 12 OR 13 HOBBIES I AM REAL BUSY. I ALSO STAY REAL BUSY HUNTING 2 DIFFERENT CATTLE RANCHES. NOT ENUFF TIME IN THE DAY EVER................YD.

PC......I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE ANYBODY/EVERYBODY ON TO THE PROPERTY. I AM SO SICK OF HUNTING THEM BY MY LONSOME, BUT ITS A NO FROM THE OWNERS. THAT WAS THE AGREEMENT WHEN I GOT ON, AND I HAVE TO ABIDE BY IT. I UNDERSTAND THEIR POINT.....THEY HAVE LOST CATTLE TO "IT WAS BLACK IN THE BRUSH, SO I SHOT IT" NITWIT HUNTERS IN THE PAST. JUST THE WAY IT IS........YD.

Am in,don't have any place to hunt anymore,but would love to go huntin with MMer's and put some faces with some names.Yes YD is anti social. LOL !!!! cowboy57

Jim, I have been. Actually saw two bucks yesterday morning on a ranch I can hunt. However, when I put on the sneak, they had gone. Going up below Little Baldy this afternoon. Redwood Mtn. to be exact.

Dave, I know. The ranches I hunt are the same. I can't even take my son!!!

Cowboy, this just might happen. When does the second season start/end? pc

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom