Done for the year

BeanMan

Long Time Member
My Wife and I just finished Cutting and packaging this years elk. I'm sure glad it's done because I really hate this part of the hunt. i just won't take it to someone and let them do it. How many of you cut up your own?

beanman

Raising my hand. We've always cut up our own.

Jenn
"Some people are like slinkys; not really good for anything
but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs!"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-08 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]I like cutting them up myself but the last couple years its been to warm to hang them the in Sept. and Oct. This year was easy, I did not fire a shot.

i cut up my own and an elk isnt an easy job, dont know if its true but just heard some people dont give you back your same meet.

Here here! We just made 40 lbs of elk chorizo last week.
It's theraputic for me. It can drain you though. Especially a big animal like elk. Cleaned and processed a coues deer once, boy was that a breeze!

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

>Here here! We just made
>40 lbs of elk chorizo
>last week.
>It's theraputic for me. It
>can drain you though.
>Especially a big animal like
>elk. Cleaned and processed
>a coues deer once, boy
>was that a breeze!
>
>
4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

Chef, I have never processed a coues deer.....Do you just fillet them? LOL :)

horsepoop.gif

We always process our own game. My good friend lets me borrow his commercial meat grinder. Makes that chore sorta easy, takes longer to clean up than to grind the burger.

Phantom Hunter

We butcher our own also,but I get the good end of the deal... I just have to bring it home boned out and the REAL BOSS takes it from there. took her about 5 hours to have it all wraped and in the freezer, and then backstraps in the skillet...

Hey Chef,

Would you share a recipe for Chorizo? I'm going to turn all of last years elk into chorizo sortly. We have a recipe from some friends that is untried but would like to at least compare.

Thanks,

Fred

>We always process our own game.
> My good friend lets
>me borrow his commercial meat
>grinder.

We don't do burger. Elk burger....gag!

Jenn
ICONATOR_dc703736ad8118fdb02250ee10.gif

Nope , I take it to the same guy who has cut our famalies meat for decades now. I have had my grandpa cut a few though.

MMM Elk burger is good! I like it! Love that film it leaves on the roof of your mouth.

The chorizo is a better idea though. Spiced up! Mix it with some pork and MMMM MMM MMMM!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Before the last hunt I complained that the equipment was too expensive so I'll just take it in...riiiight..the bill was $675...got back just under 150 pounds of bone in, no back strap or tender loin, 60 pounds of burger that I did not order and 20 pounds less jerkey than I did order...and I'm not even sure any of it was my animal...some of it was marked for the retail case...could have bought some fine equipment for that price and be sure I got my animal back...live and learn...

ALWAYS my own Fred.

Know what you're getting and how you want it.
It's really the only way to go, for the way we
do our stuff.

I'm with ya sir. Completes the hunt, in my opinion.

Larry

I have been doing my own for about the last 8 years. I am lazy and just do my own burger. When I have sausage or bacon made, it goes to my processor.

I started with a local Meat Processor and but always seem to come up short. For the last 10 years I do my own, a mule deer takes about 90 minutes and a blacktail about 45 minutes.

A couple of really sharp knives, and a wife who is handy with a sharpie and a vacuum sealer makes the process very easy.

There is one significant difference between do-it-yourself and a processor. When I use a processor I am excited about getting some sausage on the pan the second I get home.

After I spend 4-6 hours making my own sausage, I have no appetite for it whatsoever. I don't even want to look at it for a couple of weeks. One added side benefit of making your own sausage is how smooth your hands feel for about a week.

Forethewall,

I'm with you on that. Had a salad for dinner, I'll be a carnivore again soon though.

Beanman

edlebrock, seriously i can hook you up ill give you a killer deal and do it for $600 just pm me if you want more info

LOL, yeah I did. Told ya I was dumb.

It weighed 485, no, lower legs, head or hide... I asked for no burger and got 60 lbs...ordered I think it was 20 lbs brats, 10 lbs jerkey, and 6 salami the rest was bone in cut. I got no backstrap or loin cuts...I still have the original order sheet and the bill when I picked it up.

My dad and I always did our own deer, but I though this Elk would be to much for just me to handle...ha...still makes me sick.

I posted it on some thread back in early 06'...

dumb dumb dumb

If it is cool enough to hang it for a while, we always cut our own up and bone it all out. I even done my buffalo the year I killed it, but I was home from work temporarily so it gave me something to do.
We usually get the family together, and have a "party". Lots of help makes fairly quick work of an elk.

I take my pieces and scraps down and have the butcher grind them with beef soot while I wait so I know I get my same burger back....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom