Don Peay - Randy Newberg Debate

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
Don, Randy and I had a conference call this morning that lasted over an hour. The purpose for the conference call was to discuss the logistics for the upcoming debate. We had a very positive discussion, and the parties agreed to the following points:

1. The debate will take place on the evening of 6/27/2012. Details regarding the moderator, start time and location are forthcoming.

2. Don and Randy will be participating in the debate in their personal capacities ? not as representatives for SFW, RMEF or any other group.

3. Anybody who is interested in the issues and is willing to be respectful and civil is invited to attend.

4. Don and Randy discussed some general topics for the debate, which will center on the North American Conservation Model.

5. Time permitting, Don and Randy will take some questions from the audience regarding these issues. We are still exploring how best to solicit and screen those questions.

6. Don and Randy have agreed to generally refrain from debating these issues online in advance of the June 27th debate. However, this will not preclude them from responding to select questions or statements that relate to these general issues.

As an interested third party, I believe that the debate will be entertaining, informative and educational. Based upon the discussion today, there are some areas where Don and Randy have similar views and other areas where their positions are nearly polar opposites. I am hopeful that the debate will highlight some of the key issues and problems, and a broad range of ideas and perspectives as to how to address those problems.

Regardless of where you personally stand on these issues, it should be an interesting evening. In the meantime, please keep the discussion civil, and we look forward to seeing you on June 27th.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

"Don and Randy will be participating in the debate in their personal capacities ? not as representatives for SFW, RMEF or any other group."

Is there any need then for the 3 hour tour?

MulePacker-

Whether it is necessary or not, Randy has agreed to participate in the tour.

We all know where these two individuals generally stand on the issues and what groups they are or have been affiliated with. Such information is widely available online. However, they want to make it clear that neither of them are appearing in a representative capacity for an organization. In other words, this is a debate between Don Peay and Randy Newberg -- not SFW and RMEF (or any other entity).

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

"So does that mean that the Don will not answer or discuss anything about SFW?"

I don't think so. Don was instrumental in forming and managing SFW, and he remains involved today as a consultant. I think you will find that Don's personal views are closely alligned (if not identical) with those of SFW. Don is proud of what SFW has become and what it has accomplished, and I expect him to discuss that during the debate--hence, the infamous 3-hour tour. However, I don't think Don will be getting a list of "talking points" from the SFW board.

Don did tell Randy that he would need to reach out directly to SFW and MDF to request financial records relating to the Expo. I am going to help put Randy in touch with Byron Bateman and Miles Moretti on this issue.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Whatever happens, I hope this is put up on youtube for all to see.

I live in AZ and I sat in on a meeting with Don when they were talking about starting AZSFW. I'll tell you what, he is one smooth talking dude. Even though I don't agree with much of what SFW does, I was very impressed by his oratory skills. He is one of those guys that can sell ice cubes to an eskimo. If you know what I mean?

At least Randy has the educational pedigree to put up a formidible argument. Having graduated from Arizona State University(my Alma Mater)he is bound to do well. It is well known that ASU is the Duke University of the South West.

Who knows......... maybe the Peay/Newberg debate will go down in history similar to the Lincoln/Douglas debates?

Good Luck to both gentlemen

I would pay the equivalent of the admission price for a movie to watch this event live on the internet. The funds raised could cover the production costs to stream the event.

don is going to need all the luck he can get.i wonder how long it will take him.to come up with an idea to sale tickets to the debate and turn it into a profit.sorry i couldn't resist all kidding aside there should be some good.. that comes out of this debate and a whole lotta answers

This all started over SFW wanting trophy tags to make money with in states that guys must sometimes wait a very long time to draw. I want to hear all about AZ and the SFW late night tag grab! Thats what got everyone fired up and I mean fired up!! I hope this debate doesn't get politically correct before it gets started.

I'm sure you will get the same "the two groups are not connected " answer that has been posted over and over. I'm curious about their connections to other states as well. They have seperated themselves from the Arizona tag grab but not the smaller Idaho one backed by SFW Idaho.

I have a feeling the "personal capacities" caveat is going to prevent the hard questions that everyone wants answered from being asked.

I had the same thought Hill. Also, I hope the audience is not allowed to boo or clap. Just let the two speak without feedback.

I didn't realize that Don Peay isn't a rock star!!! I went to the fullcurl banquet and I would've thought Utah would have him as the next govenor. Learn something new everyday.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom