Dog Trainer?

G14

I am looking for a trainer for my Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. I don't have the time/knowledge to train her. I'm looking for a good trainer in CO,UT,SD,WY or NB. Any help would be appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-30-11 AT 12:45PM (MST)[p]Where do you live? If your close to me I'll help you do it free of charge.

Possibly. What is your ultimate goal for the dog? What would you like it to do? How old is the dog? I guess that you understand that pro trainers are expensive.

Shummy knows his stuff, if I was looking for a trainer I wouldn't hesitate to give him my pup.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

My Griffon was born Nov. 17, 2010, so she is just about 3 1/2 months old. My ultimate goal is to give her the tools necessary for her to enjoy what she was breed for, upland/waterfowl. Does that make sense? I hate to see a dog that's breed to hunt be a backyard dog.

My parents have a Brittany that is about 4 months old. My Griff and their Brit will be hunting together almost all the time. They too, might consider the same trainer. Which, I think would be a good thing.

As far as money goes, I would like to stay in the $400 to $500 a month range.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, let me know. Thanks!

It makes sense. You are going to find that for the most part the Griff is going to be a slower, closer range, more methodical hunter than the Britt. It's possible that the two will really compliment each other. Your dog is very young, really too young for formal training away from home. I suggest that you keep the pup at home and work on obedience training, and strengthening the bond between you. In the spring I would try and find a pro that runs a summer camp in the prairies and send the dog with them. The dog will get a lot of daily exposure to wild birds, which are the ultimate trainer! There is a good pro, that runs Britts out of Montana, and another good one in Utah. I can get you in contact with them if you would like. As far as price goes, you are in the ball park.

Get online and look for VDD group North America. There are a bunch of drahthaar guys in WY, in Casper I believe. Look for some of the breeders, give a call, maybe some of them train on the side, or know a trainer.
What they do in the VDD would more than suffice what you want.

Drahthaars are very similar to the Griffon, there are even Griffon mother lines.

Shummys right most trainers don't want a dog till it's 6 months old. Keep working on sit, stay, come. Look into www.sevensisterslabs.com in hot springs south dakota. Harold breeds pointing labs, but he trains all kind of pointers. I takes birds to make a good birddog and Harold has a lot of pigeons and chuckers. good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom