Dog Trainer info

"To keep it simple, I would look elsewhere"

Thanks Madddog someone mentioned his name to me but i've come to the same conclusion.

What type of trainer are you looking for specifically?
-Obedience?
-Gun dog? (Pointing, flushing, or retriever?)
-Field trials?

I am very connected in the "Retriever World" here on the West Coast and could point you in the right direction if that's what you're looking for.

-HS

highsierra,

It's a German shorthair and i'm just looking at some options to continue his training this summer. He's only 11 months Old steady to flush so looking to get him broke and some Obediance if possible.

OK how about Mark Westerlund out of Bishop Ca.

I already have a couple options I'm just making sure I am being thorough in my research.

What exactly are you looking for?

I'm no expert by any means but have had pointing dogs since I was 12 (42 years).

My dogs won't win any field trials since I don't train them to be steady to wing and shot. But they find tons of birds, and only lose crips in dry conditions, usually early in the season when it's hot and dry. An E-collar IMO is the only way to go BUT use it wisely, never out of anger.

Spending lots of time with the dog can't be over done. Time every day. And at 11 months at least 1/2 the time should be doing what the dog thinks is fun, not training. If it will retrieve a dummy, ball, etc use that as bonding/fun. Just make the retrieves harder progressively.

There are 100s of great books and vidoes out there. Some are pretty anal for the average guy. Find one you like and stick with it. IMO time spent with the dog isn't wasted and pays off in the field.

PM me anytime if you want an opinion but as I've said, "I'm no expert." But my dogs mind, obey commands and find birds. Honestly a lot of that isn't technique, it's instinct and time spent with the dogs.

Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom