Dog ID and training

mmwb

Very Active Member
We picked up a dog for my 14 yr old daughter at the shelter, for Christmas. We estimate the dog is about 15 to 18 months old. She had been picked up walking the highway last early summer and was at the shelter until we got her in November. I don't know dogs well, but she does, both in conformation and personality, seems to perhaps have a lot of English Pointer in her. Maybe someone here with more knowledge will know

I realize she is a bit old for training, but someone obviously worked with her, she is very intelligent and obeys well. She also will go over to the chicken coop and hold a point if I am with her, though she also will go over and just run the fence and bark as well if left to her own devices.

We?ve a lot of grouse in this country (mostly ruffed, a few blue, and within a couple of hours sage hens) and I would like to see how she will do in the mountains. Any good basic reads for a guy with no real dog training background in terms of what we can be doing with her now, as well as for later in June when the snow is down and we can get her into the hills? Below are a couple of pics, though they are not the best.

Looking for a handout
lady.jpg

New best friends snoozing under the Christmas tree
lady2.jpg

I wouldn't want to guess at the breed, but there certainly seems to be some type of "sporting dog" there.

Hundreds of books and video on dog training and don't get caught up in the "too old for training" attitude. That is just simply BS.

Train her the basic obedience stuff and take her hunting. Once she learns what is expected and what makes you happy, she will be fine.

Keep in mind that you got the dog for your daughter and that you did not specifically go and get a "bird" dog.

"Fathom the hypocracy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove that they are insured.....but not everyone must prove that they are a citizen"

She's not too old for training. My pointer is still learning whistle commands and he's past 8! Just take some time each day and start on one command like SIT and push her rearend down until she knows what you want. It won't take long for her to learn that and maybe give her a little treat to help with reaffirmation when she does what you want. Don't do it every time though as some dogs will get sart enough that they won't obey until they get what they want! Then move on to another command and progress from there. Don't use any words that sound alike. I use Stop instead of No because the latter sounds too much like Whoa. If you know someone with a pointing breed, the easiet way in the field would be to take her out with a seasoned dog to see what she'll do with it. Even if she doesn't develop into a hunting dog it looks like she is already making a good companion!

I'll come right out and say it. She won't develop into a hunting dog. I own or am training for clients a grundle of pointers, and i'm not convinced that dog has any pointer in it. I've seen cattle dogs of some sort that look exactly like that dog. I'm sure it will make a great companion, and if it is a cattle dog of some sort, it should be very trainable.

I agree with Shummy, do not see a bird dog in there, rather a cattle dog.
Keep in mind that Cattle dogs are generally very trainable, and smart. You may not have a bird dog, but you should have a very good dog.

I had a dog, years ago that looked just like that. It was a cross between a English Pointer and a Lab. She was a good hunter, but she had the thin skin of an English and short hair. She was always cold.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-12 AT 12:20PM (MST)[p]We had a border collie/australian Shepard mix female one time. A travelling salesman who happened to be a German shorthair came to visit one day while she was in heat. I let my son keep a puppy just for fun. That dog was an awesome hunter. He had NO formal training at all but would point and retrieve quite well. He looked a lot like that dog.

Edit: he was also a damn good lizard chaser and would harass the cows quite often but not on command. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom