Does this help corner crossers or make it easier to prosecute them?

If the draft is the same as the previous attempt, it is better for corner crossing because it allows for 'reasonable" use of GPS.

>I thought in Wyoming corner crossing
>'was not illegal.'
>
>Meaning make sure and fish and
>game won't prosecute.

The #1 argument you hear from landowners about corner crossing, when no survey caps are found, is that a GPS is only accurate within so many feet or yards. This law depending how it was worded, would eliminate that argument.

However, how it stands now, the G&F will not write corner cross trespass tickets. Call them and ask. As far as the Sheriffs department, ask the OP about that.

>I thought in Wyoming corner crossing
>'was not illegal.'
>
>Meaning make sure and fish and
>game won't prosecute.

I don't think the law will change anything on corner jumping, unless you miss the pin or your GPS is off and you miss the pin.

This is probably worth a read:

[https://www.wyoleg.gov/InterimCommittee/2019/01-2019060313-04Trespass-CornerCrossing.pdf]

Basically G&F won't ticket you based on the G&F statute because you are not attempting to take game on private ground, but a county officer could definitely give you a ticket based on trespassing through the air space of a private landowner and it seems that is enforced on a county by county basis. It even sounds like a G&F operator may call a county sheriff to report corner jumping.

I don't think either side of this (public hunters/fisherman vs. private landowners) really want to fight this in the higher courts as either could potentially lose and set precedence. Same thing with trying to make it a law. I would assume the public hunter is more likely to lose this argument in the courts, so maybe trying the law route is their/our best option.

Curious to Buzz's and others in the Wyoming know think about this whole thing? It pretty much stinks from both sides and it is easy to see both points of view.

If I were to ever get prosecuted for corner hoping I would fight to my death!

My take on the stupid air space argument is as a public land owner I have air space too. The corner of connecting land is separated by a razor thine line that even at that point is a shared property line 50/50.

I believe we public members have to push back. These ranchers have abused the system in my opinion. They want to claim a block of land which is public as an extension of their land.

Last year as I was up in Gillette antelope hunting I was on a county road privet on both sides. OnX showed a big piece of BLM overlap the road. I stopped there, turned off the road to a gate. The gate was part of a fence system. Everything around it hundreds of feet was BLM. The gate, the 2 track through the gate all BLM. But NO, right on the gate post was a privet property no trespassing sign. Similar to the same signage along the fence on the privet next to it. Basically the guy was trying to absorb public land as his own. Hell if I had more energy to fight it I would have taken pictures and gone straight to the sheriff demanding charges to be filed.

The article mentions public rights too. Then it quotes a representative that is himself a rancher down playing that right. I know people are rude and inconsiderate when they just walk onto privet. But my heck I am so against privet land owners being a$$ holes about a corner that is really shared by both.

In most all cases in the US the landowner does not own the airspace above their property the FAA does. At least they administer it. Otherwise planes could not fly over private airspace which they do every day. There are certain restrictions on events and govt. property but these are TFR and are published. Not sure the state can just sign this away. How high above ground level is this restricted to. Seems like it would be a lot of effort to fight but every state has the same issues.

In most all cases in the US the landowner does not own the airspace above their property the FAA does. At least they administer it. Otherwise planes could not fly over private airspace which they do every day. There are certain restrictions on events and govt. property but these are TFR and are published. Not sure the state can just sign this away. How high above ground level is this restricted to. Seems like it would be a lot of effort to fight but every state has the same issues.
Actually many court cases have found a landowner does have reasonable use of the airspace above his land. Some old English law doctrines, heaven to hell actually state landowners own everything below and above. If I build a billboard sign that hangs out over into your airspace above your land it has been ruled as trespassing and is Illegal. I also cannot build a sprinkler system that continuously sprays through the airspace above a private landowner’s airspace without his consent.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom