Dodge 5.7 hemi's

muzz

Long Time Member
Are they any good? Looking to get a new truck, (used truck) Wonderin if the hemi's are any good. I have a 6.0 gmc now and the mileage sucks! I have a 26 foot trailer to pull also.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

i dont know much about them but from what someone told me with there new hemi was when they were driving down the road the truck goes into gas saving mode by shutting down a couple of the cylinders.. so when it comes time to pass and they stomp on the gas the truck lugs and takes a few seconds to get up and go.

but that is the only bad thing i know... im a diesel junkie if you got any questions on them...good luck

You ain't gonna get anything more by switching to a hemi. My work truck has a hemi and although I haven't had any mechanical issues it does seem to lack when put under a load and the milage always seems to suck no matter what. Have you looked at maybe chipping and other bolt on's? Some of the after market addons can really be beneficial.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I just bought a 2012 in Septmber. It get's much better mileage than my '07 did. Still only about 13.5 around town. However, on my way to CO this year, out on I-70 I got 19.2 at one point. As Tailchaser said, cylinders alternately shut down. I have a 20 foot pull trailer, and no problem pulling it. pc

I owned a 2007 dodge 1500 with the 5.7 that i did the cold air,exhaust, superchip flashpaq tuner, level kit and a little bit bigger tires. All i can say is im really hard on trucks or dodge transmissions are really weak! I never towed anything more than a open deck snowmobile trailer with 2 quads and although the truck had plenty of power to tow that, the transmission wouldnt hold up. Replaced the first transmisson at 27,000 miles under warranty, 2nd one at 42,000 miles under extended warranty and got rid of the truck soon after. It also had the multi displacement system, shutting the cylinders down, and i actually got better fuel milage when i disabled that with the tuner.

I've got an '03 hemi and it sucks on gas. About 13 in town, 15 hwy (if under 70) and when a trailer is hooked up it gets anywhere from 6-10 mpg. There hasen't been any engine mechanical problems with it, but I wouldn't own another one.

On the Dodge tranny's....I have 244K on my dodge auto with probably around 190K of that towing and ZERO problems or rebuilds. Although I change the tranny oil and filter every 15-20,000 miles where most people neglect their tranny's. BTW, this is on an 03 diesel. I know nothing about the hemi's.

Alp?

You change the Tranny Oil & Filter every 15-20K?
You've already bought a Tranny:D
Say your prayers & keep changing the Oil,03 Dodge Auto Tranny's are weak,you do have a good Truck other than the Tranny!
You could do what RANS does,He carries Spare Tranny's:D

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Well, this weak tranny has 244K and counting! Let's just hope the investment keeps me on the road for another 100k!

I have a 2011 1/2 ton with the hemi. Heaviest thing I've hauled was a small trailer with a polaris ranger. Truck was loaded with gear too. It had plenty of power. From Bakersfield to Kingman it got 14.74 MPG. Pretty good, I thought. Empty on the highway it usually gets 17-18 MPG. I havn't checked mileage around town.

Don P

I own a 2008 2500 with the hemi, added duel exhaust cold air intake superchip tuner level kit and 315 for tires, gas mileage is not great at about 13 empty and 9-10 towing my 30 foot bumper pull camper. But pulls great and with zero problems hard to complain.

Anybody got one of the newest Dodge Hemi pick-ups?(2011-2012?)
Just wondering if the Jet'Lag is still there on the New ones when you mash down on it?
They Advertise/Boast 20 MPG but I talk to nobody that's gettin that good of mileage?

I think with todays Technology they could easily be gettin more than 20 MPG without shutting down cylinders & letting firing cylinders pack dead cylinders?

Just picked up a 2012 1500 Quad Cab with the 5.7 Hemi. I got 16.2 mpg on its 400 mile maiden voyage from dealer to home. I think that's pretty good considering a lot of up and down hills, no use of cruise control, and bucking a strong head/cross wind for a lot of the trip.

As far as any lag when it comes time to step on, didn't notice a thing. The truck flat out gets up and goes whenever asked. It will put you back in you seat when you decide to pass somebody. I previous had a Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0L and always though that had good zip....the Hemi beats it as far as straight driving, don't know about towing yet.

I have not driven a pickup but I have logged a couple 100k miles with the hemi in a sedan. As far as the eco mode shutting down cylinders I have seen two things. One, the only time it orbits in that zone is when you are stopped or pushing the throttle with a goose feather. Two, when you stomp on it, it moves out. I have never noticed any hesitation with the engine. Now traction control sluffing off power is another thing but that is easily disabled. Unless there is some character flaw with the truck set up as opposed to the sedan I just do not see it. According to the computer mpg calculations which are often not too accurate, my car hovers around an average of 15 mpg with a combination of city and highway. That includes a lot of starts, stops, and idle time. On the low end it will be 12 and on the highway driving miss daisy it will go 25 plus. I would imagine pulling a truck chassis with 4wd gear that would be significantly diminished. If I was in a light truck gasser shopping spree I would not hesitate to pick one up.

As far as efficiency I wonder how much better things can potentially get. Thete is only so much energy in a gallon of gasoline and it takes so much energy to get the job done.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

..Oh and one more thing. The hemis I have driven seem to have a mystical tractor beam which compel out of control maniacs to drive into your trunk and or hood. For that you may want to reconsider.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Well 1911!

With todays Technology they can easily pull more Mileage & Power out of a Gallon of Gas!

Thanks to Our Government in Bed with Big Oil Companies we get bent over at present times worse than ever!

Kinda Funny(Not!)just a few years back Diesel Pick-ups could easily Pull 20 MPG(Yes CUPSY & REDDOG I said 20 MPG!)but thanks to New Emissions/Obama BS the newer Diesels are Fuel Guzzlin Bastards but BY GAWD they pass Emissions,WTF?

Total bunch of BS!

But We are trying to Conserve,Right?

In My Eyes there ain't nothin more Impressive than the Power & Torque a Good Running Diesel will Produce & some of them used to pull some damn Impressive Mileage while doing so!

I don't know about the Brand New Ford Strokers?But I can verify for the other Big 2 that the Fuel Mileage is way down on them from what they were a few years back without making some mods to them!

And Don't forget the Obama Juice!

You gonna pay anywhere from 50K-65K for a New Diesel that gets 9-14 MPG and poor Obama Juice in it too?

In some cases the Diesel is the only choice for the Job!

I do believe you're gonna see alot of Guys that are gonna buy Gasers for run-around Trucks!

Don't get me wrong,I wouldn't trade one good running Diesel for all the Gasers you could stack in a pile!

I keep hearing people say how Bad the Chevy VorTec,the Ford Eco-Boost & the Dodge Hemi's are,I'll admit they are Quick,But they don't even come close when it comes to Torque the Diesels produce!

One things for sure!

Vehicles are a never ending Battle throughout Life,You're gonna spend a good chunk of your hard earned money throughout your Lifetime on them & I don't care which Brand you Bragg up!

Cupsy just wants to know if you really meant poor obama juice or pour obama juice or pour poor obama juice.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I have a 05 hemi that I am trying to get rid of just because of the gas mileage. 13 empty, and towing my 6x12 loaded up work trailer anywhere from 6-10mpg. I owned a 6.0 gmc before this and dont get any better mileage. Other than that I have had no mechanical problems with it. Oh, lifted with 35" tires.

ElkPoint.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom