Do you shoot or not?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
It's opening morning of the rifle hunt, people are everywhere, and as you make your way across the sidehill you look up and see this buck at 150 yards. Do you shoot or not?

5044dscn1272.jpg

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

If it is not the Henries, I believe I would be shooting. Of course the scouting has been done prior to help with the decision.

I don't think this is a question of "if he is big enough to shoot". I think this is a question of a safe shot.

With people everywhere, I would not shoot with him skylined.

I agree with broadside. If you don't know where your bullet goes after your shot, then it's not safe to take the shot.

Whether there are people everywhere or not, don't pull the trigger on a skylined buck. You'll never know where the slug will end up after it passes through the deer!

I guess this is the ONE, and only, good reason to use Berger bullets for hunting! LOL (feel free to flame away)

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-14 AT 10:15AM (MST)[p]Even if I put the bullet through the shoulder the 150 grain from my 30-06 will tumble into the unknown. No shot at the moment.

Anyone who even considers saying yes should instead consider taking hunters safety class again.

The Four Basic Principles of Safe Gun Handling:
1. Always point the muzzle of your gun in a safe direction.
2. Always treat every gun as if it were loaded.
3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
4. ALWAYS BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND BEYOND.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-14 AT 03:16PM (MST)[p]is anyone aware of a case / story where someone was hurt or shot by someone else shooting at a skylined animal? The odds would be very small I would think of hitting anything.

I'm not condoning the shot because it's better to be on the safe side for sure. Just curious.

Safe Shot or not!(And it's Not!)

With Hunters everywhere I'd Place Money sayin it wouldn't Slow 85% of Hunters down From Blazin away!

At that Elevation I'd Hope there wasn't Hunters Everywhere!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I met a man one time when I was traveling. I was actually going on a hunt. He was a friend of the person I was with. This man definitely seemed deeply upset. Upon questioning my friend later I found out the man had accidently killed his own son in a hunting accident. The weird thing about it was he killed the deer he was shooting at and struck his son who was apparently quite far away beyond the deer. I do not know if the deer was "skylined".

Zeke, your comment was funny but true so we will leave it at that.

I would be very tempted to shoot but I would hold out until the buck came down to me a little more so I had a back drop. Worst case the buck doesn't come and I know where to go looking for him. He isn't running so obviously he hasn't been too spooked just yet.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-14 AT 07:28AM (MST)[p]>Life is a gamble, take the
>risk.

Then gamble with your life and not others. About 6 years ago a local here was killed on a pass through shot. Never. Did hear if it was a skyline shot or not but the guy shooting did not have a good back drop and the bullet hit the victim in the throat some 800 yard away... Would rather let the buck live than end up in court for manslaughter...

Nope I would wait...

I would be VERY tempted to shoot that buck. I know the rules. I was trained very well in hunter safety principles. I would hope I would pass on it, because I think I should pass on it.

But I would be tempted. And I hope I'd pass.

I'd move a few yards to the right and take straight on shot so the bullet would end up near his hip :)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

My first thought when I saw the picture was that the buck was skylined and not in position for a safe shot. I didn't even look at the size of the rack at first.

NRA Life Member

Lefties are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

if you are a good caring person who hunts for the generally accepted reasons you would have to think twice or 10 times.if the angle is extreme and you know the density of hunters is 1 t0 10 square miles and you would accept the animal as a good choice for your tag then center thr sights and take a deep breat... release a bit and squeeze. Without a lot of knowledge this is a no no! I think founder is wanting us to think about such things as the season is upon us.Founder I am a country boy who wears a ball type hat. Notice that I just tipped it to you as a guy thinking ahead and caring for us. This is not a place for us to spout and be cool. This particular post is what I mean.

The correct answer is "NO", but I think with buck fever taking hold, it is likely that many of us, myself included, would forget about safety and shoot... Then afterwards some guy would come over and yell at us for shooting in his direction...

I can picture it now.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom