Do you guys think this stove would heat a 10x12 tent with 3' sidewalls?

Not if it's cold outside. That flue is 2 1/2" dia to give you some perspective on how small that thing is.

I'd go for a radiant heater like the HEATSTAR portable propane heater or a comparable unit. You're going to be trying to heat around 500 sf (I'm assuming your roof isn't flat or else you'd be heating 360 sf). The heater you proposed is less than a foot by a foot and a half and because it burns logs or coal, that's one medium size log burning at a time, if you're lucky. And how often are you going to have to throw on another log? Your tent must have an outlet for a smoke stack as well (I'm sure it does if you're looking at this type of a heater). Sure, this might do the job to keep you from freezing as long as you hover over it, but you aren't going to be wearing shorts in your tent. If you get an attachment for a large propane tank, you can easily heat 500 sf and have up to 52 hours of burn time and if it gets too warm, you can always turn it down. Also, no clean up with the propane tank. The downside with the propane heater is ventilation, but if you have a slot for a smoke stack that shouldn't be a problem. That's something you'll have to keep in mind. I'm all about making things easy and the ebay wood stove looks like more hassle than it's worth to try to heat a large tent. Larger wood stove would be great, you'll never run out of fuel, but all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how far you have to drag it.

Buy it, and try it, you're not out much if it doesn't get hot enough. We have a stove similar in size, that heats our 12x14x5' pretty well, but you have to keep it stoked to cook on due to the thin metal. Not sure this one would get enough heat transfer to cook very well.

Use fire logs... 2-4 hour burn time.

I'm with Bambistew, buy it and try it for that kinda price. Most wood stoves will run you out of your tent anyway but as stated above, due to the small size you might have to add fuel very frequently. As far as propane heaters go, I'm totally against it due to the chance of killing yourself through affixiation. Why take a chance? fatrooster.

Buy it and cut out the hole for the stove pipe and put in a 5" pipe you should be good to go.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

My tent has a 6" jack on it, so I will probably go with 6"...Originally when I saw this stove my thoughts were.."well if it only has a 2.5 outlet it should keep more heat inside", so was my original thought right or is it just gonna prevent it from getting hot enough because of small outlet?...also am I gonna need a flu with this stove if it already has a 2 vents built in it?

My train of thought is that I will be able to regulate the heat via the vents in the stove or am I thinking a$$ backwards?...I guess the way I look at the square footage area thing is thats what I bought a good sleeping bag forCan't kill em from the couch!

>Buy it, and try it, you're
>not out much if it
>doesn't get hot enough.
>We have a stove similar
>in size, that heats our
>12x14x5' pretty well, but you
>have to keep it stoked
>to cook on due to
>the thin metal. Not
>sure this one would get
>enough heat transfer to cook
>very well.
>
>Use fire logs... 2-4 hour
>burn time.

What do you mean about the cooking part and thin metal?...Doesnt make any sense to me, maybe its the way Im reading it?

Can't kill em from the couch!

Cute Little Dude....bring your wife along to keep it stoked for you all the time and I'm sure it will work just fine!!!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-10 AT 10:02AM (MST)[p]I read how big it is, That thing is Small, I have my doubts if it will heat a good size tent.
Might be ideal for a range tipi or something along those lines.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom