Do it yourself caribou

300cross

I am a "do-it-yourselfer" kind of guy, and I have wanted to go on a caribou hunt pretty bad. Well, I was hoping that some of you know some details on a DIY caribou hunt, and am hoping to pick your brain a bit. Is it hard to find them on your own? Where can you go to do it? Etc. Etc. I would love to go on one soon. Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you hunt with a bow? There is a "bow only" zone you can drive to in Alaska near prudhoe bay. Inexpensive, and can be pretty darn good.

Yes I'll hunt with a bow or whatever. It doesnt matter, I'll use whatever weapon is allowed.

We flew into Fairbanks and rented an expedition. There were 4 of us. Probably the funnest hunt I have ever been on. Saw Black bear, Griz, Dall Sheep, Musk Ox, Fox, Moose, and Caribou. Laughed my ass off the whole way. Lets say $500 for air, License and tags (1 caribou) $500, your split of rental car (3 ways) (you aren't supposed to drive them up the haul road oh well) $125, Gas $150, food $100, shipping of meat $125. Basically, $1500. You can trim some of the figures. You also need a Bowhunter Ed Class.

I did that road hunt 2 years in a row. Both times I had a blast, but the word is out. There are a TON of people road hunting and it can be a slob hunt. It is what you make of it, but it is definately your cheapest option. If you have a little extra money, fly out of happy valley into the herd.

Is it that bad? I went in 01. There were alot of people, especially next to the roads. But, if you hike a little it was pretty good still.

I went in 04 and 05. 04 the caribou were everywhere so I didn't notice the people as bad. In 05 the caribou were a little more sporadic so it turned into every slob for himself. It's still good hunting as long as you get off of the road 1/2 mile or so. Definately rent a raft and get across the Sag.

Well, I'm not much of a road hunter anyway. So if I have to get out and hike, its even better for me. That sounds like a lot of fun. I heard from a friend that they are having migration problems with the caribou in Alaska. That it is a lot more difficult lately up there. Have any of you heard the same?

We went on a Quebec hunt several years ago where we were basically in a drop camp. All we needed to take was our gear and sleeping bags and they had camps all set up, etc. They also provided boats, gas, etc. and you were on your own to hunt. Not exactly a DIY hunt, but it was way fun.
You are able to kill two Caribou in Quebec. It cost us about $2500 but that was 10 years ago. I think those types of hunts are still available if you are interested.

What outfitter was that with on the Quebec hunt, that sounds interesting. Will they move you if the caribou don't show up?

We went with ExlpoSylva. They did not move us but I heard that if it is really bad they sometimes move clients. I got two bulls, but my partner only got one small bull. We went in August, but some other friends who went later in September all got their two bulls and they hunted out of the same camp.
I don't know what their policy is now as it has been several years. I think they have a website or you could call them. Good luck.

Non-residents or Non-resident aliens have to have a guide period to hunt in BC. (I'm pretty sure!)

I know this post is old, but i have hunted Alaska several times. I can save you some money,if you are interested in DIY....

The haul road hunt requires bow hunters to hunt 1/4 mile from the road and its 5 miles off the road for a rifle hunter.

I did Quebec last fall with Tuttulik outfitters, they offer a drive up "working mans" hunt and fly you out to a camp with a camp hand and several boats. Lots of PY bulls taken and 10 of us took 20 in three days. Do a search for the web site.

>What outfitter was that with on
>the Quebec hunt, that sounds
>interesting. Will they move
>you if the caribou don't
>show up?
Club Chambeaux in Quebec will do this type of hunt. I went out up there five years ago, on a fully guided hunt, and the hunting was fantastic. If I ever go back, I will do the unguided hunt.
There non guided hunt is just like the one descibed above,in one of the previous post, and they will move you to a more productive area if no caribou are around your camp, at no extra charge.

"Easy now keep the crosshairs right behind his shoulder & squeeze"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom