DM001O3R

dbeatty65

DM001O3R. Season Dates: 11/09/2024 - 11/15/2024 I'm next in line for this tag and need to claim in the next 3 days. VERY concerned with the winter kill. Anyone have thoughts or live in GMU?

Seems like a pretty damn good tag to me. Plus, there are only 5 people hunting deer during that hunt. Seems like a dream tag actually.

1728581249812.png

I mean they give out so few tags. It is a very remote unit. Maybe the most remote in the state in terms of lack of easy access in and out. If a deer will survive it is likely to be a big one. I think it is more mild there than other areas in the NW. go hunt it man. You are really in no man’s land for buck tags tbh. You could wait 5+ for a decent tag but are likely 22+ out from the buck tag in co…

Didnt know Jerry in windsor had a brother. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Dbeatty65, you said yourself your not getting any younger, take the freeking tag and GO HUNT!!!

Its a small unit but only 5 other tag holders that hunt.. There WILL be bucks. That outfitter probably has the next guy in line as a client and wants his money.
Nope as I was willing to pay, and he didn't try to take $ or sell me anything. My buddy knows him.

Choice is yours, but that area got hammered by the 22/23 winter. Both deer and elk took a huge hit.

You will still find deer but the older age class got hammered. If you do take it stay on the north end as the deer that wintered off that side was not impacted as bad, but still took a hit. Anything that wintered south side likely died.

The deer population wasn't great to begin with in there, i think the elk keep them pushed over into Utah as there are a ton of elk.

The 2 and 3 yr old bucks that would have made the bad winter should be mature and had little competition for resources the last couple years. The WORST time to hunt after a winter kill is 4-6 years later as the entire lost fawn crop and the aborted fawns the following spring will really rear its head then. They start raising tags and claiming the winter kill is over about then because there will be a flush of young deer in the following seasons but that’s the worst time to be in there if you want a mature buck. Hunt bad winter areas 2-3 years later and then again 6-7 years later. I’d hunt the **** outa that tag for sure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom