DIY

The state is so big and muleys are everywhere so you could literally go anywhere. If you are at all familiar with a part of the state then start there. Otherwise, just pick a unit that isn't a special draw and start there. Lots of public land and you can run into deer anywhere. Search high early in the season and low late in the season. If you let me know what town you will be hunting from then that would be a good start.

If I was going to start somewhere it would be Broadus and then maybe the NW part of the state. Lots of mediocre deer in the entire west but that's a little vague.

They're the ones with short tails,
don't hunt in the brown of light pink.

8598countymap.jpg

I think its going to be a banner year here in the extreme nw corner for spring bears. We have no snow, the bears are going to be out when the season is actually going this year, instead of being snowed in, and getting about the last week and a half of good bear hunting. I wish they would extend the season in 103 106 107 to June 15.

IMO, squaring bonus points sounds like a really good way to go. You keep the randomness of the draw that we're used to, where anyone can draw, but give the guys that have been in there forever a better chance. I really think it's a good middle ground.

Drathaar,

I think he's looking for a deer but post pics of spring bears if you gottem.

I don't know enough of the NW to point anybody in the right direction. Lots of good areas from what I've heard.

Oops LOL, I was supposed to be responding to a pm, I don't know how that happened.

>I don't know enough of the
>NW to point anybody in
>the right direction. Lots
>of good areas from what
>I've heard.

Oh yeah, there are flippin' mule deer running around here everywhere...WTF??? NW MT has the lowest mule deer densities of the entire state. Quit trying to derail the non resident.

Honestly I would look at Wyoming, Montana deer numbers are on the slide and after the winter eastern Montana has had its only going to get worse. Heck I live here and I am looking at other states. Wolves, bears and lions in the west, hard winter in the east makes for a bad season come fall.

I have hunted Broadus MT for about 6 years it takes about 2 points to get a tag for an non-res.,but i have hunted it on the left-over draw so i have only totaly missed on 2 years out of 6. In the four hunts i have brought home 3 bucks. Nothing real special just decent bucks 4 points and 3 point. Last year had to find a whole new area to hunt the normal spot was empty. The local taxidermast said they had a real bad case of blue tung and the mule deer heard was hit hard and the antalope herd was cut in about half. Like any other western hunt get out of the truck and you will do ok!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom